1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sp3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xavier2, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

With Windows XP what are the advantages/problems of updating from SP2 to SP3? Thanks.

2. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Curiously no replies to a very simple question. I asked it because I have read that problems range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes. True or not? And do I really need SP3? Or am I missing out?:

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

Can't give you too much except for my experience. SP3 works great for me. No issues at all. I did slipstream it into an SP2 fileset before installing XP, meaning it was fresh install. As far as needing it, don't know. If you use Windows Update to update your installation and everything is OK then I would say you don't need it.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

I've installed SP3 on close to 200 machines so far with nary an issue. Some were the HP with AMD systems that require running a little tool first, but all installed successfully.

My experience is that SP3 is slightly more nimble and starts slightly quicker. No negative impact so far.

I do give the systems a good scrubdown for spyware, trojans and junkware and disable the antivirus and any other realtime protection before starting the upgrade.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Xavier2:

If your computer currently has XP SP2 installed and you've kept it up-to-date with the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates, it's not necessary or mandatory for you to install the SP3 upgrade at this time.

If you do decide to do it, follow simpswr's advice in his last paragraph.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you JuJu68. I guess I don't need it.

7. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you Simpswr. Much appreciated.

8. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Roger that and thank you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice