Solved: Spam email

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Surreal2

I downloaded a prog called Bounce Spam Mail. It is supposed to allow you to 'bounce' spam back to senders so it looks like the recipient address doesn't exist (thus, hopefully, preventing further spam being sent).

However, I've never been able to get it to work. Has anyone else used this program?

These kinds of programs really don't do anything now that most spam is sent from forged/hacked addresses. Your best bet is a filter like SpamAssassin.

Surreal2

Ok..thanks guys. I don't use any spam filters because of the risk they'll catch genuine emails. If I have to filter spam into a separate folder and then go through it all to check whether it's spam or not, I might as well check and delete from the inbox in the first place.

As above, "bouncing" spam simply eats up internet bandwidth for no gain.

Once a spammer sets up an account, they never revisit it. Its a one time operation until shut down by the ISP. The spammer never knows or cares, any responses are to links in the email for which the spammer gets paid per hit.

Bouncing only makes you feel better but costs us all in traffic charges and bottlenecks.

Surreal2

kiwiguy said:
As above, "bouncing" spam simply eats up internet bandwidth for no gain.

Once a spammer sets up an account, they never revisit it. Its a one time operation until shut down by the ISP. The spammer never knows or cares, any responses are to links in the email for which the spammer gets paid per hit.

Bouncing only makes you feel better but costs us all in traffic charges and bottlenecks.
OK..but then why are we advised never to respond to spam, even to click the 'remove me' link, because that simply confirms that your address is 'live'.

Because the "remove me" link never goes back to the email address that was the source in any spam I have bothered to look at, it usually goes to a separate web address where your email can be databased for on-sale to yet more spammers.

MailWasher is real good.
http://www.mailwasher.net/

I got a older free version and do not get any spam. :D

Well I used to get spam with my last ISP that was Pacbell and then used Mailwasher to bounce mail and it was doing a good job as I started getting less spam.
Then Pacbell became SBC/Yahoo and it was ok still but the they changed the email server over to Yahoo and all the spam I was getting stopped and I was getting more spam but all from new places.
So Yahoo was spamming me.
But then I got comcast and everything was all new. I setup my email accout and said NO to getting any new letter or anything from comcast. You can opt-out but read the find print your see they give your address to 3 partys too and it will not stop that email.
So best to setup new accout and Protect your address. Never use it to sign up for anything or give it to friends that forward email all over the place as they will give out your address.
Just keep things safe by using web base email to sign up for anything and watch what your doing. Use a email user name that is not a user name you use any where else too. Use a name with number etc so they can not just spam the ISP easy. Names like bill and sue are to easy because every ISP has someone with that name. Use something like Surr*[email protected]
2 and a half years and I have not gotten any spam from my ISP.
Was feeling funny at first as I was not getting mail like I was butI got over it because it was all spam before. Really nice not getting spam.
I got 3 webbase accounts and only get spam from one of them too. Well get it from hotmail too but have it so it goes to the trash and gets deleted so I never see it.

Surreal2

kiwiguy said:
Because the "remove me" link never goes back to the email address that was the source in any spam I have bothered to look at, it usually goes to a separate web address where your email can be databased for on-sale to yet more spammers.
Ah...many thanks Kiwiguy..bit by bit I learn :)

Surreal2

Hewee..thanks for your comments too...good advice. Sorry for the delayed reply, your post must have come in while I was replying to Kiwi so I didn't see it until now.

Your welcome Surreal2 :)

Also sorry for my later reply but hey I was gone on a trip for a couple weeks so was not here to post. :D

Surreal2

hewee said:
Your welcome Surreal2 :)

Also sorry for my later reply but hey I was gone on a trip for a couple weeks so was not here to post. :D
(y) Cheers Hewee.

Hope you had a good trip!

I have been getting over 100 spam mails per day on one of my Yahoo mail accounts. What I did was logged on, took all the important stuff off, and out of my email folders, then deleted the account.
I really am sorry that I had to do it, but I have no idea how or if we can just change a charactor in the email address...so the spam doesn't hit me anymore. I'm going to majorly miss my email address though.
I also have 2 paid accounts on Yahoo, and get spammed on an hourly basis. I can't delete those accounts, well, unless I want to pay all over again.
Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused: :mad:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online