1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: speaker system for a vehicle

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by carlo_scute, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Thread Starter

hi experts,
    this query is for car audio experts and enthusiasts.

hope i'm posting in the right place.
    Just wanted your advice and thoughts on a future purchase for a vehicle speaker system.
    do i need to purchase a subwoofer,as well as speaker units?
    what do:RMS Power Handling,Impedance,Sensitivity,Frequency Response,Cone Crossover,Power Range mean?
    and what does coaxial mean as compared to component speakers.
    and what brand/s are good?

just wanted a loud enclosure,important is the sound is crisp.not in too hip hop music,but classical as well as trance.

2. carlo_scute

3. wacor

wacor Banned

Since nobody posted I will give you a little info if nothing other than to bump it.
    i would think not unless you want a ton of bass.

been a while since I paid attention but believe these are separate issues.

i could guess but that would not be good.

I would guess it would have to do with shielding of the wires. Probably like comparing the old antenna connections versus the cable tv type connections. Shielding might make a difference to eliminate certain interference.

Bottom line is listen to what you are interested in. When I was a kid i used to think it was a big deal to get great audio for a car. spent a bit of money in the day. i question how much one gains in a car when you get to a certain dollar amount. at least for when you are driving, unless you want to blow your ears out. did that, don't recommend it.
    good luck

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My guesses.
    But checking it out on Google would have taken a lot less time than me typing it....

RMS Power Handling
    Root Mean Square (RMS) is the true power average that the speakers can handle.
    It is not the "Peak" instantaneous power, but the continuous power.

Impedance
    This is the "resistance" of the speaker, typically 4 ohms for vehicle speakers and 8 ohms for domestic audio. Using a speaker with an impedance that is too low can cause the amplifier to overload and fail. Using a speaker that is too high in impedance will result in less power and lower sound level, plus distortion in some cases.

Sensitivity
    The amount of sound output vesus the power input. Also called Efficiency.

Frequency Response
    The range of audio that the speaker can reproduce from low Bass notes (20 Hz or lower) to the highest treble (15,000 Hz or so)

Cone Crossover
    Where the speaker has a central cone high frequency "tweeter" it would be the frequency at which that assumes the job of taking over from the main cone

Power Range.
    Similar to RMS power.

Coaxial
    Where the high frequency "tweeter" is mounted centrally within the main speaker cone.

Component speakers.
    Where the "tweeter", "mid range" and "woofer" units are all separate.

what brand/s are good?
    You get what you pay for.

5. carlo_scute

thanks to you both!

6. sanity

sanity It's My Birthday!

Sorry for a late post. But I just joined and read this. What type of car is it and what type of music are you into. Things you may want to focus on are, How much bass are you wanting?
    Is it alternative music then your not going to want to have your bass so bad you cannot hear your mids or your highs clear enough. There is all different ways of going about it. But a couple factors lie into place. What type of car? Hatch backs are great for extremely loud bass. When a box is in a trunk it uses the trunk as another box sorta speak. If the back seats fold down then you will get more sound out of it when there down.

You want the subs to fire away from your ears. Reason why is say your subs hit 50hz the time it takes for that note to mature is 50 feet. You take the hz and times is by the speed of sound= people the correct distance away hear the note more clearer then the people in the car.

The ways to have your set up are endless.

If you have not already bought your stuff. Its ok, If not let me know what music your into and car and a spending limit and i'll get some of that info together for you and you can go from there..

John
    M.E.C.P Certified
    Basic/advanced electronics
    Basic/Advanced Acoustics
    Alarms
    Navigation
    Fiberglass
    Plexiglass

Sealed boxes are better for sound quilty, Ported have great bass notes (if built right) And myself think of bandpass as a one note wonder box. 10's have a solid hit 12's have a good hit but can also drop lower then a 10. And 15's Are great for low low's

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice