1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Speed Tests

Discussion in 'Networking' started by velugu, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

One of my PC has become very slow. I checked for malware and it was cleaned recently.
    The systems is very slow and I checked with comcast they are saying there is no issue from their side. I am getting 1Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload when I did the speedtest.
    What could be the problem ?
    Can someone help me ?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:So,what bandwidth are you paying for.?
    Is more than one pc affected?
    When did this start?Any hardware/software changes?
    Boot up in safe mode with networking.Any difference?
    Run a sppedtest with this link:

http://www.speedtest.net/
    Same results?

3. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

Thanks !

No this is Comcast high speed connection. I was getting earlier 15 Mbps download and 4 to 6 upload.
    This is the only PC im having trouble.
    I am not that good running in safe mode. Just did the test with the link you gave. still the same.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:So only one pc is affected,and all others are getting the correct speed?
    Is this wireless or hardwired?
    Safe mode generally can be entered by continually pressing the pf8 or pf6 key while re-booting.
    With networking is one of the options you will see .

5. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

Yes this is the only PC I am having trouble ! Can I try with safemode ?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

And is it hardwired or wireless?
    Yes.Try safe mode with networking.That will tell us whether or not this is a system load issue.

7. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

What result will I get when I start that in safemode with networking ? what to look for ?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

What your looking for is to see if your speed improves.
    And again,is this a wired or wireless connection?

9. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

It is a wired connection.

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

About the only things I can suggest to you until we see the safe mode results are:
    Download/install from your pc maker website,the most current driver for you lan adapter.
    Is a router involved here?

11. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

I have an comcast router modem and vonage ( motorola ) router.

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:In addition to the above:
    Try your connection using another router lan port.
    If still a problem,hardwire the pc to the modem.This will require a modem power on reset(power off the modem for at least 30 seconds,make your connection,power on the modem.FYI:Any changes to the modem cables will require this power on reset.

Also,FYI.Here are some basic tips to confirm that the lan connection involving a router are correct.
    Tips on setting up broadband connection, courtesy of Johnwill

You don't need any setup disk to configure a broadband router.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.
    Also:When did this start?Any hardware/software changes?

13. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:In answer to your message.
    Since you report that this is the only pc that is having the speed issue,and your download speed at one time was 15mbps,it would lead me to believe that :
    1:There is a problem with the lan adapter.That's why I suggested downloading/installing from your pc maker's web site,any more current driver that may be available.
    2:That something changed on your pc.Hardware/software.
    If so,what?
    If a system restore point is available at a date before this started happening,you could restore your pc back to that restore point and see if that fixes the issue.
    3:Bad lan port on the router:
    That's why I suggested using another port.
    As a corollary to this,also try another ethernet cable.Might be just a cable issue.
    4:Task or resource conflict issue ,causing a bottleneck.
    That is why I suggested running in safe mode with the networking option.This will run your pc with a minimum amount of resources and applications
    5:Router problem.
    That is why I suggested trying a hardwired connection to the modem,isolating or eliminating the router as the source of the problem

The issue of "network slowness"is one of the most difficult to diagnose,obviously because there are so many components,both internal and external,that are involved in getting data from a to b to c.that without any solid leads as to where among all of these,the problem may lie,it is just about impossible to make any logical suggestions on how to fix the issue.

14. velugu

velugu Thread Starter

I solved this issue by simply changing NIC card. Thank you for all your help !

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice