1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED}Speedguide.net Patches!?!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vg19, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Pro. I downloaded pathes from speedguide.net such as the @home. I also downloaded a patch for win 2000. Now my d/l speed seems to be going very slow. I am goin at about under 10k/sec now!!!!! i used to go at 200k/sec!! Is there n e way to remove the patches i installed?????????

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

avoid that site, they tend to add lines to your registry that, as you're finding out, don't always do any good
    (my opinion)

go back here and look around, see if you can find the specific patches you installed and delete them from your registry IF you're comfortable working in the registry, if not - then just go to the next link and work from there.

a much better place (again, opinion) is DSLReports , check out the speed test to get a baseline, then use the tweak tool, download DrTCP and make some adjustments - always reboot after

dsl also has good forums specific to cable, dsl, etc

i run cable, so i'm gonna be twice as fast usually, here's a speed test i just ran:
    Your download speed : 3059863 bps, or 3059 kbps.
    Browsers would show : about a 373.5 k/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 270270 bps, or 270 kbps.
    Your connection rocks .. above the 1mbit barrier!

also visit the networking forum here for ideas and help

3. angel

angel

In XP, System Restore is enabled by default. So, unless you got rid of it, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and choose a date in bold prior to you making those changes.

4. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Coincidentally, I'm just coming here from Speedguide. If you read deep they say that that @home tweak is dated 1998 and is no longer supported, causes big slowdowns for some... Hope jbcalg's tip helps you to restore (not sure myself what that one does. DSLreports is a great site! Explore tweaking your Rwin values running their bandwidth tests before & after tweaking.
    DSLR's values gave me a little higher results on their bandwidth test than Speedguide's did.
    You can change these settings by merging easily-created .reg files into your reg.
    Post back if you need more info on how.
    good luck!

5. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Thanks

The system restor worked. I went from 32kb down to over the 1 meg barier after systemrestore...

Thanks a lot

6. brianF

brianF

I'll say this, I use speedguide patches on win98 and win2k machines without a problem. After using them I have gone to dslreports and they have no further tweaks over what speedguide gave me. I do beleive your problem was using a win2k patch on winxp

My two cents

I will mark the thread solved

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice