1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: speeding up my comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leewkiii, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leewkiii

leewkiii Thread Starter

if i add a terabyte drive to my comp will it speed it up any? my hardware memory subscore is a 5.9 and it's my lowest subscore.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Not significantly.

3. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If your drive is overloaded it should. Really not enough information to know.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It might speed it up a little if the new drive has a faster rpm than the present drive or it can defrag better because it has more capacity. It won't increase that 5.9 sub-score though, you will need an SSD to do that.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well memory and hard drive are not the same thing.

If you replace your existing hard drive with a faster drive then it may speed it up. If you just want to add it as a second drive then unless your original drive is full or nearly full it won;t do anything for performance.

If you just want to increase your Windows score then don't even bother. That score is not really useful Also that score for the hard drive will never go above 5.9 with a hard drive. You'd need an SSD to get beyond 5.9.

Now replacing your main drive with an SSD would make a big difference in performance.

But realistically you need to give us a complete list of what hardware you have and where you find it slow. If the computer is slowing browsing the web thats a completely different solution than if its slow playing games.

6. leewkiii

leewkiii Thread Starter

It's an acer aspire about 2 years old. It has 8GB of ram upgraded from the 4 it came with tried to have 12 but it wouldn't start at all called the manufacturer and they said all it could handle was 8. have a 500GB harddrive am only using about I have 338Gb of 443 available.it runs windows 7 it's a 64-bit.it has a Amd quad core a6-3620 APU i guess that is the processor. just wanted to speed it up a bit it is fine on the net as i have a download speed of about 64mps. just wanted to get it running at optimum. what is an ssd is that a type of drive?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so a bigger hard drive is not what you want, it'll do nothing for you.

SSD is a type of drive, read more here: http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

You may just in fact need a software cleanup.

8. leewkiii

leewkiii Thread Starter

ok i have run a free registry cleaner and it seems to have done some good but now my screen flickers occasionally. i also have malwarebytes anti walware installed and run it every few days i also use charter security suite what els can i do to clean it up?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Registry cleaners are best avoided, they usually break more stuff then they 'fix' and they 'fix' things by deleting things.

Uninstall programs you don't use, clean up the startup.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    A defrag might help, I like to use the 'monthly' setting with this free program :- http://www.mydefrag.com

It can take a while, don't forget to click the drive letter in the lower window, then select 'monthly' or whichever you want to use.

After that running the command below in a cmd window (type cmd into the search area then right click cmd.exe at the top and 'run as administrator') might speed up the boot a little :-
    defrag c: -b
    if your OS isn't on C change the letter to the correct one, there has to be a space before and after c:

11. leewkiii

leewkiii Thread Starter

Thank you

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. I would do the defrag after you've removed any unwanted stuff.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!