[SOLVED] Speedstream 5100 modem linksys router no enet light

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aenthame

I am trying to make a small home network. At the moment I am just working with 2 of my Xp machines to get connected.
I have a speedstream 5100 modem, a linksys Befsx41 router and 2 linksys nic cards in the machines. Prior to upgrading computer 2 to Xp, I was using Xp & 98 with the modem and a hub, both computers could use the internet until *2 was upgraded.
When I connect everything(modem, router, 2 computers) the enet light on my modem will not light up, and the diagnostic light on the router stays red.
Do I need a crossover cable between the modem and router?
Do I need to add the hub into the mix?
I bought the router yesterday since I have had hell with getting the hub working with the 2 xp machines.

Also if I ever get to that point, is there a way to keep my static ip block with a router?
Thanks,
Sheri

so wait let me see is the modem you are using also working as a router for you how many static ip do you have, and where are you connecting the cable from the modem to the router, on the wan side or on the uplink ???

aenthame

I do not think that the modem has been used as a router, never had setup up any options for that or had the choice to set it up like that. I have an option to use a block of 7 static ip's. There is no uplink port on my router, just the wan, 1,2,3- lan ports & 4/dmz port.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I believe you need to use a small cross over cable between the router and modem.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I believe once you have it setup correctly, you should be able to see the lights :D No pun intended :)

aenthame

Thanks for the suggestions, the crossover cable didn't work, since my day old router was defective, as was the second one. But I guess third time is the charm.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online