1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Spilled wine on lap top :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carrielynne, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrielynne

carrielynne Thread Starter

and the hard drive is out...wont boot....we did get into a diagnostics thing via f2 or f12 (cant remember) and all systems checked out except the hard drive.....

any idea how we can fix this? we dont have boot disks for this computer....

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Eek :) wine and computing don't mix. Did you wait awhile after the spill to power it up? Or did you try powering it up right away?

3. carrielynne

we waited till the next day

4. Cheeseball81

Was anything else done? Was the battery removed? Anything internal removed? Did you try to soak up any of the liquid or let it air dry?

Soda, coffee and wine are usually the worst to spill as they are actually corrosive.

5. carrielynne

I opened it up, and there seem to be no moisture inside anywhere. I did take the battery out several times, turning it on and off. what happens when I turn it on, the dell inspiron screen comes on, then it goes to a black screen with white lettering, saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I was able to get to a settings screen, and it ran a test, everything passed except the hard drive.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would say the harddrive probably got soaked to the point where its going to have to be replaced. i would have it checked out further to make sure there isnt any more hidden damage somewhere.

7. carrielynne

got a happier answer? LOL :p

8. Cheeseball81

Is the warranty still good? :)

9. carrielynne

no and my geeksquad plan just expired too lol
    I'll find a local place and have them clean it and replace the HD if necessary...thanks for the input all :)

10. Cheeseball81

You're welcome :)

Cheers! lol

11. Simba7

Simba7

It would be cheaper to order a new hard drive from Newegg.

12. Simba7

Simba7

That's why I usually have a bottle of 91% alcohol. So, if it does happen, I yank the battery and hard drive immediately (and the CD/DVD drive if possible) and hose the entire thing down and let it drip dry. Now, if it's a Mac, not much you can do. Sorry.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice