1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: spoolsv.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rjh4th, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjh4th

rjh4th Thread Starter

I have three users that are getting this error in their event logs:

faulting application spoolsv.exe. version 5.1.2600.2696, faulting module unknown. version 0.0.0.0 fault address0x00000000

Spoolsv.exe stops, I have it set to restart in a minute, and I can't find any information or fixes to this problem. Any ideas?

All users are running Windows XP, one user prints to an attached printer, the other two print to different network printers. We just upgraded this locations server from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 server. No one else is complaing about printing problems.

2. rjh4th

rjh4th Thread Starter

Found this and it fixed the problem.

If the Print Spooler service is not operational, or you want to make certain there are no printer driver remnants, either follow the instructions below or use cleanspl.exe from the Windows 2000, XP or 2003 Resource Kit (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en). cleanspl.exe from the Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools will work on Windows XP.

Some information about cleanspl.exe:

cleanspl.exe does a very thorough job of cleaning up the print spooler stuff, but it does not remove the spooler service dependency on the Lexmark service (see special information about Lexmark printer drivers).

You can use it to clean up the spooler stuff on another computer (i.e. remotely).

When you run it, it asks you if you want to remove some things that are actually delivered (and installed by default) with Windows. In most cases, you should answer No to the corresponding prompts (you don't want to remove the Standard TCP/IP Port or the BJ Language Monitor).

3. lester_kun

lester_kun

Many many thanks for your advice. It gave me half of the answer (the other being after rebooting, install the correct driver for my Toshiba e-Studio25).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice