1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Spy Sweeper problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by grandpaw7, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

1. For some time now, both before and after my recent renewal and update of my SpySweeper program, when I boot up I get a SpySweeper Error Alert stating that SpySweeper has encountered an error during a previous session and giving me the option of sending an error report. Each time I have exercised that option and I have also written SpySweeper support about the problem but have gotten no reply. But the error alerts continue.

I am wondering if those alerts mean that SpySweeper is not able to do its job properly?

And I am wondering if there is anything I can do besides what I have done to try to correct the situation so that the reason for the alerts no longer exists?

SpySweeper does do the daily scan that I have scheduled for it.

2. Until this morning, when I booted up the first thing on my screen would be a notice from SpySweeper, apparently just to let me know that it is looking after me. But I got no such message this morning. (Later, SpySweeper did do the daily scan that I have scheduled for it.)

Can I just ignore that or does it indicate that SpySweeper is not functioning as it should?

3. In its sweep this morning, SpySweeper detected and quarantined an Internet Explorer hijacker. It then gave me a message saying that if my IE settings "have not improved" I should click Shields, then click the IE tab, and then click "Reset IE page settings to default".

Although I didn't do any checking to see if I was having a problem with IE, I went ahead and clicked the Shields button. The resulting window does not have an IE tab. It has these tabs: Shield Summary, Web Browser, Network, Windows System, and Startup Programs.

I clicked on Web Browser but the resulting page does not have any kind of Reset option.

Since I haven't detected an IE problem, perhaps the question is moot. But I still wonder why the directions I got don't work?

4. When I was in Shields, I also clicked on Startup Programs and saw that Startup Items was checked and under that "Alert only for potential threat changes to startup items" was checked.

I have the Startup Inspector program. And I wondered if I chose "Alert for all startup item changes" instead of the one above that is already checked if SpySweeper would then do the same job as Startup Inspector, so that I could then remove Startup Inspector if I wanted to?

One thing Startup Inspector started doing recently which it used to not do is to alert me every time SpySweeper comes on to do a scan, requiring me to approve of SpySweeper. That is one reason why I might want to get rid of Startup Inspector.

Thanks, grandpaw7

2. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

SOLVED. SpySweeper emailed me with instructions to uninstall and reinstall, along with the necessary tools. I am assuming that will solve my problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice