1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Spybot, Ad-Aware,etc.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jones20603, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jones20603

jones20603 Thread Starter

I have used Spybot and Ad-Aware. Some things I am not sure if I should fix or leave them alone. For example, in Spybot it tells you that everything in red should be fixed. Some programs I see in red are things associated with programs like gator , mediaplayer , etc. that I use. Should I just let Spybot fix these known programs along with all the other stuff and on reboot these legitimate program associations will be replaced? The same thing with Ad-Aware, should I let it fix all that it finds and on reboot all necessary things will return? :confused:

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Spybot will quarantine by default but with adaware you have to do a manual quarantine before removing. So you can restore an item in both if you have to.

3. raybro

raybro

Hi jones20603... You are certainly free to use GATOR if you choose, but be aware it is, indeed, spyware. the following is a quote from the PCHell GATOR removal instructions site.

"Gator is your smart online companion that fills out forms and remembers passwords. Gator comes with the OfferCompanion application, the premier application for saving money on the web. Yet Gator and OfferCompanion are extremely polite, staying out of sight, popping up only when they can help you.

Although Gator isn't much of a nuisance, it does fall into a group of software known as spyware, sending information about buying habits, etc. for information purposes. For this reason, many people won't use it and want to remove it. The Gator company recently changed their name to Claria."

There is also an alternative prog (which I use) called RoboForm which is spyware free. You can check it out Here.

If you choose to continue using any of the progs detected as spyware by spybot, you can simple check them in the Excludes section of Spybot and they will no longer show up in your scan.

Regarding AdAware... Adaware IS default set to quarantine objects prior to removal. You can check it by clicking the Settings icon (gear image) at the top of the window. It's shown under Startup and Safety.

AdAware also has a feature similar to Spybot's "Excludes"... It's called the Ignore List. AdAware simply ignores any file you place on the list.

Regards - Ray

4. jones20603

Thanks for the reply and info! (y)

5. jones20603

Thanks Ray,
    I am going to try Roboform. Is there anyway for me to use all of the info that is saved in a .gat file from gator? A lot of usernames and passwords are in my head, but the others I don't have written down.

6. raybro

raybro

Sorry, I know nothing about how GATOR works, but I kinda doubt you can simply transfer the data. A .gat file is probably custom for GATOR, but that's just a guess. The RoboForm data files have a .rfp extension.

Does GATOR have a printout feature? That would at least give you all the info you need to input into RoboForm.

BTW... RoboForm DOES have a printout feature.

7. jones20603

Thanks Ray,
    I never paid any attention before, but no printout feature in Gator. You live and you learn. Appreciate all of your help. Thanks!

8. astrodaddy

astrodaddy

Okay but what about the stuff in red found in a spybot scan that I have no idea what it is? Is it still safe to have spybot fix it or delete it?

9. xgerryx

xgerryx

Refer back to #2

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice