1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: spybot search&destory

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by greenbug, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greenbug

greenbug Thread Starter

I now have two spybot search&destroy in add remove programs the new one 1.5.2 and the old one 1.4. both with 43 megs. Tried to uninstall the 1.4 one in add remove but I get a message that it dose not exist. any help

thanks bug

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

Was the entry deleted after you got the message saying that it doesn't exist? If it wasn't, then the first step is to uninstall version 1.5.2. If both of them are removed, just reinstall Spybot. If the 1.4 entry remains, there are several ways to delete it. If you aren't very experienced with computers, I would suggest using a program like CCleaner that will allow you to delete those entries. Your other option is to go into the registry and delete it yourself.
    CCleaner instructions:
    1. Download CCleaner from here. Install it.
    2. Open CCleaner, click Tools, then find the entry that you would like to remove. Click on it and click Delete Entry on the right.
    If you don't want to install CCleaner, instructions for using the registry to delete Add/Remove Programs entries are here.

EDIT: Follow Byteman's solution.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

You can find an explanation of what you are seeing here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24579

Many people, myself included, have two entries in Add/Remove Programs...mine is just plain SpyBot Search and Destroy....and another for the 1.5.2.20 version. SpyBot has some sort of updater built in now, that may prompt you to install a newer version....

In the explanation at the link above, it shows you how to check for two installed versions and what to do. You need to scroll down in SpyBot>Mode>Advanced>Tools>Uninstall area, as the two versions I have were not located in sequence.....

For what it's worth, I just deleted one of mine, the 1.5.2.20 one...as it did not have a GLID, and the info at the forum post says to get rid of that one....doing that instantly removes the entry from Add/Remove Programs. I do not think it actually saves you any hard drive "space", nor does it delete any files....only removes the information and entry in the list.

I'm going to restart the computer and run the Updates for SpyBot, and do a scan, and will post if things are working OK, or not.

4. Byteman

I'm reporting back- no problems here, after removing the entry using the directions at the SpyBot forum post linked in my last reply.

Everything functions normally.

When I start SpyBot, it tells me it is version 1.5.2

When I click on "Help>About" in SpyBot's top tabs, it has 1.5.2.20

I would say, it's just showing the newer Build of the program, which I saw offered as part of the Updates....

In Program Files>SpyBot S&D, there is just the one program's files etc.

Mine is 44.4 MB. I've just updated.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The new one installs into the same folder as the old, so the old should be uninstalled first or it will leave the entry in Add/Remove. Just remove the entry with MyUninstaller and don't try to uninstall or you will uninstall the new one.

6. greenbug

greenbug Thread Starter

Thanks again people. Tried the last post using MyUninstaller. Wouldn't uninstall SpyBot 1.4 so I chose delete selected entries and it was gone. Very easy to use program. Will run SpyBot shortly to make sure it works. Updated OK

Thanks again BUG

7. Byteman

Hi,

The SpyBot forum post I linked in my previous post has you use SpyBot itself, in it's Tools area, to do the same exact thing you did with MyUninstaller.....simply deleting the entry from Add/Remove Programs.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I often forget those "other" tools in S&D. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice