1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Spyware question #2

Discussion in 'General Security' started by MaxHouston, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaxHouston

MaxHouston Thread Starter

To protect my privacy in regards to online sites that want me to provide personal information (i.e. my date of birthday and zip code), if I am not buying anything, I would just prefer not to use my real birthday date and I also prefer to use the zip code of San Diego rather than to use my own city zip code that is next to San Diego, in order to keep my personal information more private if I am not buying anything on these types of sites. Yet I was surprised to see on one of the sites that I have an account/profile, that when I put in my usual zip code for San Diego and then go to view my profile, it lists my Last logon from: US, California, my actual city I live in and using my computer from (that is next to San Diego). How did this happen? How did that site know what city that I was using my computer? Yet when I go back to edit my profile, it still lists the San Diego zip code. I use both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Yet now that I see my account/profile currently reflects the city I am using my computer/Internet from, I figure there must be some Spyware on my computer that is extracting the actual city that I am using the Internet. Plus often whenever I am visiting various websites that I have accounts/profiles on that I know that I have used a San Diego zip code (and not my actual ciy zip code), I get a lot of pop-up ads telling me about products and services in my actual city and not San Diego. What gives?

Max Houston

2. valis

valis Moderator

every router out there has the ability to resolve IP addresses. A lot of companies will keep logs of who has visited their site and from where. Most likely that is what has happened.

hth,

v

3. hewee

hewee

I know years ago with Pacbell internet it was something to see and you could login to your account and see your usage so it showed when you logged on and the hours on and when you logged out. Now you know they had even more info then I could see.

So one like a web master or Administrator of a site can track a lot of info and now a whole lot and I bet know every person that looked at this page.

4. antimoth

antimoth

If you were to go to this URL: http://www.ip2location.com/

It will tell you your IP. Then it gives the city, zip code, and the main area code associated with that IP.

Yep. Never put your real birthday into a forum.

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Why not

how are my friends going to know when my birthday is :D:D

6. hewee

hewee

7. MaxHouston

MaxHouston Thread Starter

Thank you very much Valis, Hewee, Antimoth, and Blackmirror. This was great information to learn and know.

Antimoth, your link worked like a charm. SMILE!!! (y)

Blackmirror, I LOVED your comments. LOL!!! :D

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate your comments, input, and help very much. (y)

Max

8. hewee

hewee

You're welcome.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice