1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Spyware, trojan or what?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jack Goa, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Hi I have an unusual problem. Ok the story is, in my country, we pay almost 800% more for bandwith than any other country in the world. So to cut a long story short, I am on a pay per gig system as it works out most economical for me.
    Now you can imagine that the guys here have all kinds of bandwith monitoring apps.
    My problem is, one of my pc's are eating up bandwith without me even doing anything. It can just be on and running and the meter goes up. (using my ISP's website which gets the stats from the backbone directly, as well as an app that also connects to the backbone)
    I have a PPPoE setup. 3 pc's on a LAN connecting through a router.
    I think I might know which pc it might be. Now the strange thing is this. I have run Ad Aware, Spybot, Ewido, Trend Micro Online, have Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm installed. As well as AVG Free. According to all of those my pc's are all squeaky clean. But still the bandwith leak.
    From just browsing and emails (not big files) I average 60mb - 150mb a day. Which is impossible as I am not even here 50% of the day.
    How can I figure out what is going on? I have run netstat -b from command line and as far as I can tell it is all just local network traffic.

Could anyone please help, as even my ISP says it must be an internal network problem.

2. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Is this maybe posted in the wrong section?

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

All I can suggest is posting a HJT log from the suspect machine.

4. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Seems it's Skype......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!