1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SQL: how to use GROUP BY with UNION?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Jimmy the Hand, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand Thread Starter

Hi All,

The outline of my problem is this. In an analytical laboratory there's a database to store samples, tests and results. I need to retrieve the average time (called "transit time") that was needed to complete each individual tests over a year, and display this average value for each year, separately.
    Individual transit times are calculated as the difference between the time of test completion and time of sample login. The current year is always the year of sample login, even if test completion is postponed until next year.

The twist is that there are two sets of DB tables, an active (sample, test) and an archived (c_sample, c_test) set. Their definitions are identical, but one stores recent data, and is used everyday, the other stores old data, and is used rarely. I need data from both, at the same time.

I figured, what I needed to do was making two selects, grouping them by the year value, and then making a union of them. Here's what I did:

Code:
    SELECT avg(test.date_completed-sample.login_date) as transit, to_char(to_date(sample.login_date), 'YYYY') as wYear
    FROM sample JOIN test
    ON sample.id_numeric = test.sample
    GROUP BY wYear

UNION

SELECT avg(c_test.date_completed-c_sample.login_date) as transit, to_char(to_date(c_sample.login_date), 'YYYY') as wYear
    FROM c_sample JOIN c_test
    ON c_sample.id_numeric = c_test.sample
    GROUP BY wYear
    In my best knowledge the above SELECT should work, but it doesn't. Anyone knows why? The error message is:
    ORA - 00904: "WYEAR": invalid identifier
    Remark: The query does work without the GROUP BY clauses. But, of course, it's not what I need.

Thanks,

Jimmy

PS:
    The same problem (with almost identical description) has been cross-posted on VBAX forum:
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11264

2. Chicon

Chicon

I think that GROUP BY doesn't accept aliases in Oracle.

Therefore :

Code:
    [SIZE=2]SELECT avg(test.date_completed-sample.login_date) as transit, to_char(to_date(sample.login_date), 'YYYY') as wYear
    FROM sample JOIN test
    GROUP BY to_char(to_date(sample.login_date), 'YYYY')

UNION

SELECT avg(c_test.date_completed-c_sample.login_date) as transit, to_char(to_date(c_sample.login_date), 'YYYY') as wYear
    GROUP BY to_char(to_date(c_sample.login_date), 'YYYY')[/SIZE]
    More examples on this page : http://www.psoug.org/reference/group_by.html

3. Jimmy the Hand

Thanks for the help, Chicon, your solution works fine, and the explanation is welcome.
    However, running the query results in double occurrences of years. That is, if there are samples of a particular year in both the active and archived table set, then they appear separately, whereas I'd like them together.

E.g.
    2002 6,59833026226381
    2003 5,51757685358263
    2004 5,98794781660715
    2005 7,18336517489712
    2005 2,31719714506173
    2006 4,42310144857702
    2007 3,38955316961515

I'd like to calculate the average over the unified records of active and archived table sets.
    I'm starting to realize that it will require a completely different approach...
    Right?

4. Aftab

Aftab

I don't know ORACLE, but this is how I would do it in T-SQL.

SELECT AVG(date_completed-login_date),to_char(to_date(login_date), 'YYYY') as wYear FROM
    (
    SELECT test.date_completed 'date_completed',sample.login_date 'login_date')
    FROM sample JOIN test

UNION ALL

SELECT c_test.date_completed 'date_completed',c_sample.login_date 'login_date'
    ) AS tbl

GROUP BY to_char(to_date(login_date), 'YYYY')

You combine the tables into one in the inner SELECT. The ALL after UNION ensures duplicate rows are NOT discarded, you will need that to get accurate figures. Then you perform the GROUPING once on the entire set.

5. Jimmy the Hand

Thank you Aftab,
    I'm going to put your idea to the test tomorrow and then come back with the result.

6. Jimmy the Hand

Aftab,
    Your solution had one small flaw. The alias of the inner SELECT ("AS tbl") gave error. When I removed it, the method you drew up worked great. Even so, I had to modify the query considerably, because it had logical errors (as a consequence of bad planning), and the returned results were wrong. But in the end, all worked out fine. Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice