1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SQL Server 6.5, Unable to Connect, Unavailable

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by urwethe, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hi,

I am getting this error message "A connection could not be established to FEPNT1 - [DB-Library] Unable to connect: SQL Server is Unavailable or does not exist."

I can't connect to any databases, and I was told that the transaction log is full (Error 1105)

I was also told to increase the size of the transaction log or truncate the transaction log. I was also told that I can
    increase the size of the transaction log using the ALTER DATABASE statement. I was also told to truncate the transaction log,
    I can set the Truncate Log On Checkpoint database option, or run the DUMP TRANSACTION command with NO_LOG parameter.

Since i can't connect to any database by any method, including Query Analyzer, how can I get to my databases in the first place so I can truncate my log file(s) ?
    Can I hack into SQL Server, namely going to the OS and copying the database file(s) and running a command line executable to truncate the log file(s)
    since I can't get to them via any windows interface? Please help give direction here.

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Can you start the database from the SQL admin interface?

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If you have full blown SQL, do you have Enterprise Manager Tools? You can open and view your databases, identify the one you're having problems with, right click on it and then click on Shrink. It will bring up a dialog and you can go through and shrink the log.

Hope this helps,

MBN

4. Rockn

Rockn

I don't believe that option is available in SQL 6.5

I had similar problems where I had to go in and change the settings to truncate log on checkpoint and manually resize the transaction log. By default I believe it is something like 2MB at install.

5. coderitr

coderitr

Use ALTER DATABASE SET RECOVERY SIMPLE to set the database to skip transaction logging altogether. Unless you're using the database in a wide enteprise and need incremental backups, you don't really need the transaction log that much. The database backup will include all the data that was present at the time of the backup. As for the connect problems, are you trying to connect from the machine where SQL Server is installed or another machine on the network?

6. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hi, all:

I have full Enterprise 6.5 tools but:
    When I select my local instance, I can go no further. Whether I select tools or query or try to expand to see databases, NOTHING works, I get the same error message referenced above. I am trying to do this on the same server where everything resides. Perhaps I could install SS 6.5 on another box and try to get to it remotely. I have SS 2000 on my pc but I can't register the 6.5 server due to version compatibility issues.

So should I try to install SS 6.5 elsewhere and connect remotely? Or is there any way behind the scenes I can hack into this thing?? Thanks for your help!!

7. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hello all,

Still need some direction on how I can hack into my database to get to my data.

Thanks

8. Rockn

Rockn

Will the SQL service restart from the SQL Services Manager? You will need to start it before you can do anything in the Enterprise Manager

9. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am able to stop and start the SQL Service Manager.

10. Rockn

Rockn

And you can open SQL Enterprise Manager and access your databases? If you can have you change the db to Truncate Log on Checkpoint? Once you do this restart your server...REBOOT.

11. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hi,
    My boss wants me to do the following:
    Install Full SServer 6.5 on another machine.
    For the database that has the data,
    Copy the <database-name>.dat file and log file to the new server
    Bring up enterprise manager with the local instance
    Attach the database, associating the .dat file I just copied.

I think my boss is all wet and this won't work in version 6.5. What are your thoughts?

12. Rockn

Rockn

This will not work! If you install SQL on another computer you will still have to create the database object manually. Copying a .dat file will NOT transfer a database, transaction logs etc. He is just going to make your life harder when it doesn't work his way and corrupts your database. I don't really think he has a clue. BTW...his method won't work in any version of SQL Server.

13. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Thanks for the sanity check!!! BTW, NO BACKUPS EXIST. Fortunately we have CSV files that were exported to before the corruption, with data up through Feb 1 of this year. I think I will just bite the bullet and import the CSV into a new application and sell the old server on EBAY !!!:)

14. Rockn

Rockn

You can re-create the database on another computer if it comes to that. Did you do what was posted in post #10? It would be much easier to fix the current db than doing all of the jumping through hoops with CSV files. You don't need much of a server to run 6.5 and if it suits your needs why change?

15. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Hi,
    I can open Enterprise Manager but I can't open any databases at all . I get the error message "A connection could not be established to FEPNT1 - [DB-Library] Unable to connect: SQL Server is Unavailable or does not exist." . When I try to open in SQL Query I get the same error and I always get the same error. So I can't even get to first base on this one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice