1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SSD card for storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevcott9, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevcott9

kevcott9 Thread Starter

Hi All
    I've a Toshiba Z30 laptop with a SSD drive. I want to expand my storage by inserting another SD card. Looking around I see wildly different prices for the same storage capacity (one example was 100%)

Most seem to be angled at the camera market which I gather has higher requirements than a laptop.

Advice appreciated.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would never use a SD card for something that will see lots of writes. SD cards (flash memory in general) will wear out the more you write to it. The same applies to SSD drives but to a lesser extent than SD cards.

Dell servers have a provision to install SD cards to either store configuration information on how the server is built or to load a light weight OS such as VMware ESXi or Linux. It's a known fact when SD cards are used in this manner in the servers, expect to replace them pretty often.

3. kevcott9

kevcott9 Thread Starter

I would class myself as a very low end user (no games, few videos stored). I'm using the drive for the files I seldom access but need on hand.

Still confused by the difference in price though.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I store movies on sd cards. We have 3 netbooks and all have sd slots. I carry movies with me.
    I currently have 9 sd cards, all class 2 or 4. I'm not even sure if class 2 is being manufactured any more. Lower classes are cheaper than class 6, 8 or 10. You don't need class 10 for what you want to do. I also recommend SanDisk or Kingston.
    Avoid AData. I'm not sure about Patriot. Stay away from any unknown brands.

Walmart has a 32 GB and an 8GB class 4 at decent prices here
    http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/sd-cards

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also avoid buying from unknown sources as there are a lot of false cards around.
    The quick test is to fill the card with variable data and check that ALL the data is correct when re-read.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. kevcott9

kevcott9 Thread Starter

Thanks All
    The reason I want to use a SD card is all my usb ports (and hub) are full.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice