1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SSD compatibility help needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DreadStorm, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DreadStorm

DreadStorm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    I bought an Intel D510MO motherboard (Atom D510 dual-core) to use in a media PC project. The board is fine.

However, the system it's in only mounts one hard drive. But I noted the board had a mini-PCIe slot on it. So I bought an Intel SSDMAEMC040G2C1 card to put in it. (40GB).

The board doesn't recognize it. Doesn't even know it's there. Now, I DID contact Intel beforehand and was assured that the SSD should work with the board. He didn't seem too sure of himself, however. When I assembled everything, I found as noted - the board doesn't know its there.

Therefore, I'm asking everyone here if they can help. What I'd like to know is, how can I use that SSD in a manner where I wouldn't have wasted that $75? I decided to get a SATA card for the slot instead, since it seems that little slot is more suited to interfaces rather than SSDs. So, can someone point me in the direction where I can still use this SSD in some fashion? An adapter, perhaps, or a PCI card that I can insert it into and use it...

Any ideas?

This was the original plan:
    D510MO board, 2GB, WinXP SP3, DVD-ROM.
    Boot to the SSD 40GB, and use the hard drive, a 640GB SATA-II, to store the movies and music.

I only have one PCI slot on the board, FYI..

2. ETech7

ETech7

Did you try to connect SATA drive straight to PCIe port? Hopefully you didn't damage anything. If you must have internal DVD-ROM, then yes, you'll need PCIe SATA controller.

3. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Added: I'm not above buying another motherboard, either. So if it's possible that the slot is bad, well...So be it.
    I only made up my mind to buy the little card, haven't got it yet. They're cheap enough.

Any ideas on a use for this SSD, though?

4. ETech7

ETech7

You board has 2 SATA II ports, if you need to connect 3 SATA devices you are one port short. So you need more equipment: either SATA controller, or external DVD-ROM, or external dock/case for one of the SATA drives.

5. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    That's the trick. I was hoping to avoid all the extra tidbits by using the mini-PCIe slot with the SSD card (SSDMAEMC040G2C1) but to no avail.

I just ordered the SATA card that hopefully would work in the same slot. Assuming it's not malfunctioning. If the SATA card also doesn't work, I'm going to assume the board's bad.

So...What can I use the SSD for? Any ideas?

6. ETech7

ETech7

You do understand that SATA and PCI are two DIFFERENT interfaces, and they are not supposed to be connected without some sort of adapter. You can not stick mSATA drive into PCIe slot (just because they look similar to you) and expect it to work. You have to use SATA ports with SATA devices.

7. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Oh, of course. See, I bought the SSD to be used in the mini-PCIe slot on the board, in an effort to avoid using additional drives, etc. Here's the full sequence of events.

1) Was given an eMachines dinky little thing that had bad video built-in on the board.
    2) Trashed the board, and put in the D510MO board in its place. Saw the D510MO had a mini-PCIe slot in addition to a regular PCI slot.
    3) Contacted Intel about the SSDMAEMC040G2C1 card, and trusted them on saying it was compatible. Bought that SSD and inserted it. Nothing - system doesn't even know it's there.
    4) Just now ordered a SATA-II 2-drive controller to try in that mini-PCIe slot.
    NOTE: I'm trying to avoid using the regular PCI slot, as it's being used for a TV card.
    5) I'd like to find a use for the SSDMAEMC040G2C1 SSD card.
    6) Upon arrival of the SATA card, if that doesn't work, I'm assuming the board's defective, and will trash that in favor of another one in its place. But that's for later.

So that's what it is. I goofed. I got an mSata card. So I'll wait for the adapters, and then I'll be good. (Just added a sata adapter to that order).

Thanks for your help.

8. ETech7

ETech7

You said you wanted XP, so I think if you get that mSATA working, install your OS on it and use.

9. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    I learned a lot from our talk. I never messed with ITX, mSATA, nor mini-PCIe until this thing. What you said, and the additional research as a result, I believe has pretty much solved the issue. An extra $30 in parts should do the trick, and if it works the way I'm hoping, I might be able to use these other Netbook SSDs too.

10. ETech7

ETech7

Glad that you figured that out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice