Solved: SSD Illiterate - Need some pointers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I have no experience with SSDs and am considering my first purchase and have been looking at these at NewEgg. I assume the higher the numbers, the better; but are there any caveats or any brands I should avoid. An important consideration would also be a drive imaging program that will image from and restore to SSD. I am currently using Advanced Disk Image 6.0.2 64-bit.

Usage will be in a desktop computer running dual-boot Win7 and Win8, both 64-bit.

Thanks for reading.

crjdriver

As far as a disk image program, I use both acronis TI and clonezilla. Both work well with ssd drives. Clonezilla does have some limitations ie target drive must be the same size or larger, cannot restore a single file, etc however I have NEVER had clonezilla ever fail to restore an image successfully to the same hardware. When you start restoring to dissimilar hardware, go with acronis.

Go with the samsung drives. The egg had the 250gig 850evo drive on sale a few weeks ago for $99. Looks like they raised the price a little. Really the samsung drives are just about idiot proof. You can download and install the samsung data migration software. Shutdown and install your new drive. Pw ON and with about 2 clicks, the data migration software will copy your old drive to your new drive. Shutdown and connect the ssd to the original drive's data cable; pw ON and you are done. You can then use your old drive for storage or whatever. Leave the old drive disconnected until you are sure the clone was successful ie drive letters are correct, etc. Once you are sure, then shutdown and connect the old drive.
If you use acronis ti, make sure it is a newer version that is optimized for ssd. I believe from 2012 on, acronis has good ssd support. It might be a year older or whatever; just do not use a real old version.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Go with the samsung drives. The egg had the 250gig 850evo drive on sale a few weeks ago for $99. Looks like they raised the price a little. Really the samsung drives are just about idiot proof.
I've never bought and used a solid state hard drive, but there's something I want to mention.

The Samsung 850 EVO solid state drive is a 2.5" model and not a 3.5" model that most desktops use.

I don't believe it comes with a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket, so you may need to buy the bracket for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alex ::::::
what case are U going to put this SSD card in ????
an old computer case from DELL or HP ????
or a brand new case from somebody like NewEgg ???
are U a gamer?????
if not then the 250gig 850evo will be plenty.
if U are a gamer then U will love a larger SSD----
around 500gigs---
cost around 250.00 at NewEgg
windows 7 (64bit) takes up around 60, the latest games like GTA V takes up 60gigs by itself,
COD AW takes up 55gigs, when Black OPs 3 comes out in November that will probably be another 50gigs.
I have only a 120gig Corsair SSD---so I have to have my Steam Program file on my storage HHD---
if I had a 500gig SSD then I could put everything but my music & pictures on the SSD---
with the new SSDs there is no need to optimize them like when they first came out on the market---
U will consign it to the dust heap ( 5 to 7 years old) before you will fill up the write cache on one.

I've never bought and used a solid state hard drive, but there's something I want to mention.

The Samsung 850 EVO solid state drive is a 2.5" model and not a 3.5" model that most desktops use.

I don't believe it comes with a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket, so you may need to buy the bracket for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
flavalee ::::::
thats true of old computer cases like from Dell & HP-----
or old cheap Antec cases.
but
brand new cases from NewEgg are coming with dedicated SSD slots---the higher end Cases even
have hot swap dedicated SSD slots.
have never saw the need to hot swap
trying to decide for myself which Case I want--(I'm a big fan of full size cases)
do I want the Fractal Define R5 has 2 dedicated SSD slots with removable HHD cages
or the Corsair Graphite Series 760t (white) has 4 dedicated vertical SSD slots .
leaning toward the Corsair becasue if I ever go to a socket 2011 v3 motherboard , X99 chipset
// the case comes water cooling ready. the screw pattern is already there for Corsair H100I water coolers.
both will take any size graphics card I want---
plus the Corsair Graphite is just a fantastic looking case by itself. U could always change fans
for more internal LED color
James

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online