1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: standard 3.5"hx5.5"w Postcard printing using WORD

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sfbayrealty, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfbayrealty

sfbayrealty Thread Starter

No longer can I print postcards with a new HP 7510 All in one printer.

I have been printing just fine for 10+ years using other HP printers (6400+g85 etc) and Epson nx420 on Windows Vista (xp etc) using Office 2010 (and 2003 etc)

But now with this HPphotosmart 7510 (this is the ONLY new thing I have added or changed), it's a total mess when printing! HP Support at 800-474-6836 is of no use (I called 10+ times over 5 days, all give different solutions that are dead ends and then most say I have to call Microsoft).

The printer works fine for the first two pages, and then decides (all by itself) on pages 3 and onward to print to the left by 3+ inches! This is just not right! I have tried 20+ variables using Layout+paper/quality settings and even a different driver (HP990c)

Please, some help me start from scratch a brand new Word file with the proper settings. Yes, I will add mailmerge settings LATER. For now, I just want 3 pages to print properly.

I want the printing to start at 2" from the left, 1" from the top, and the right margin can bleed to the last mm of the postcard and the bottom margin (or non printing area) must be at least 0.5".

The printer settings I have used:
    1) the HP 7510 driver: Layout = landscape; paper/quality=MAIN TRAY+LETTER/3.5x5in/etc+plain paper
    2) the HP 990C driver: generic settings (automatic/plain paper)

The DOCX settings I have used:
    1) indent: left=0; right=-1.19"
    2) Page Setup: paper size width = 7" + height = 6" (I've tried 3.5x5.5 but it makes no difference)
    Margins are: top=0.56, left=0.4", gutter=0", bottom=.12", right=.12", gutter position=left
    orientation = landscape

all other settiings are standard.

and by the way, under layout, Page order FRONT TO BACK never works (prints last ones first) and I want to print using DRAFT. If i have to, Normal quality is OK. These all in one printers force me to use more ink than I want to - i have always hated this.

Thanks
    Gordon

2. sfbayrealty

sfbayrealty Thread Starter

Solved: I returned the HP 7510 (a ridiculously poor functioning printer) and purchased an HP6500A plus, and my old postcard & settings print just perfectly. Thing is, the rollers inside the printer will probably fail (specifically they fail to grab the postcards to feed them through the printer) in about 6-10 months. I have 4 HP all-in-one OfficeJets in the garage collecting dust. I switched to Epson, but found they also faily in about one year's time. HP e-mailed me a list of "don'ts" and their excuse about their failing rollers is to use a vacuum (not a duster blower) to remove any dust from the inside of the printer. Reality is that brand new paper continually leaves residue behind even after just printing 10 pages. My conclusion is that these printers are built to fail in about a year. Of course, they're made in China, so I expect nothing more. I'd pay $600-1000 for a printer that would last 10+ years.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice