1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Standby Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoubleHelix, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

Suddenly my laptop will not go into Standby after the amount of time passes as configured in Power Options. It worked fine until I installed Norton Ghost. I set the GhostStartService to Manual. Then I installed Divx, uninstalled it, and it hasn't worked since. I tried updating my video drivers, but the new driver caused problems with a game, so I rolled it back.

I know this is a complicated thing to troubleshoot, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any suggestions beyond the ones I tried.

It works fine if I set it to 1 minute, but it doesn't work at 30 minutes or an hour. I have no scheduled tasks, and no new software installed other than Divx and Ghost as stated above.

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds fairly open and shut, once you mention Norton.
    There are so many processes associated with Norton applications....... probably something like "Live update" that's keeping the machine in an active state?

Grab a copy of "Filemon" if you don't have it already:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

so you can see what's happening around the time of the standby activation.
    I can watch Filemon for hours.
    Better than TV by a long way! ;)

I don't have the latest version(s) of Ghost, but I assume you can still make a bootable CD (DOS) version with it?
    It's a highly preferable way of creating backups/images without having all the Symantec garbage running in Windows.

3. DoubleHelix

It's not Norton Ghost. I removed it, and the problem remains.

4. DoubleHelix

When I shutdown ZoneAlarm, the problem disappears. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it, and that hasn't worked.

5. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

turn off the wan on lan setting in your bios, ZA keeps scanning the internet to see if any1 is coming to get you.

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

It's usually "logging" with ZoneAlarm...... it does love to log. :)
    Shouldn't effect the power saving options though.

Like I said before - use "FileMon."
    It'll show you all the active processes.

7. DoubleHelix

There is no "wan on lan" setting in my BIOS. If you mean "wake on LAN", it's disabled and always has been.

There's nothing in ZoneAlarm's logs to indicate activity. I've used FileMon before, and the sheer volume of information makes it incredibly difficult to decipher. Files are being monitored hundreds of times a second. I've already gone through all the Services on the system and all running processes in Task Manager. Nothing there changed or looks out of place.

8. DoubleHelix

Definitely a ZoneAlarm problem. I updated to the new version which solved the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!