Solved: Standby problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wallee

Hi all. I just discovered this place thru a google search.
Hopefully someone can help me out.

Recently when my comp goes into standby mode the fans no longer shut down. Regardless of length of time in standby mode.
Hibernate works fine, fans shut down immediately.

It seemed to start after I changed mouse and keyboards and software for these.
I changed back to the old keyboard and mouse and software and the problem went away for about a day and then started happening again. I don't think this is the problem just coincidental timing.

I have not changed my BIOS or any other settings.
I have run virus and malware scans and all are clean.

The only other times this has happened it turned out I had a worm and once removed the problem went away.

I just finished cleaning the dust out of my comp as well and that did not help.

I have 3 fans, 1 on the chip, 1 on the power supply and 1 for general ventilation.
I can see 2 of these from the outside and they are both running after system stand by,
but it does sound like the hard drives shut down and power up at the correct times.
I did try searching but either I didn't have the correct wording or this is not a common problem.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Windows XP SP2
ASUS P5GD1-VM motherboard

wallee

Could anyone point me to a place that might have an answer?

I've tried google and microsoft and another tech forum with no results.

Thanks.

wallee

APM in my BIOS is set to S1. Does that mean that the fans would stay on?

If I set it to S3 will everything shut down and wake with the mouse? This is the way it used to be. What would make the BIOS config change by itself?

I'm not sure.
Find out the manufacture of the Mobo(Motherboard) go to their website and find the mobo documentation on there. You can look through it to tell you what it will do when set to S3.

You've cleaned it, worse case- you might have to reseat the heatsink. was the dirt bad?

wallee

Thanks Drew.

No the dust wasn't too bad. I didn't really disturb anything inside component wise though so hopefully it's just a setting change somewhere.

wallee

Can't find it on the web site but I have the manual I got with it.
This is what it says" configuration options are [S1 (POS) Only] [S3 Only] [ AUTO]." That's it. Doesn't bother to explain the options.

S1 would leave some fans on whereas S3 would shut them all off.

wallee

After months of searching and trying I have finally fixed this problem.

It was the BIOS setting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online