1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Start menu shortcuts missing after virus cleanup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bascotie, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I recently removed the Windows 7 Recovery virus, but now a bunch of my start menu shortcuts are just empty folders (no shortcut to Word/Excel for example). Any idea of a quick fix without having to recreate them all by going into program files?

2. egilst

egilst

I have the exact same problem. Has anyone figured this out?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most cannot be recreated by "going into Program Files". Any that used the Windows Installer, for example, link to the installer folder and not to anything in Program Files.

Try a System Restore.

4. jamwaky

jamwaky

If it's the same virus as i've just removed a few of on client machines, it may have just hidden them, thats what I found from my encounters.

5. pete95

pete95

Hello, on 9 June I had a nasty fake security virus despite firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. I have removed by running Malwarebytes and MSE. Then system restored to 8 June. Now the following are empty: IE favourites list, documents folder, and all photo gallery. I was able to briefly see my photos on clicking a link to a photo under "recently changed", but on doing this all the photos on the page disappeared one by one over about 10 seconds, and now it says there is nothing in the folder.
    I wonder if the items have been hidden in some way. I have also run Microsoft sfc/scannow which didn't find any corrupted files. ....Can anyone advise on what to do to recover the lost files? Many thanks indeed.

6. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Use Grinler's Unhide.exe to make your files visible again, download the following program to your desktop:
    Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

7. pete95

pete95

Hello Jack and thank you. I had seen the earlier reference ref to unhide.exe. I wondered if maybe it was safer to go through the recommended routine of uploading a Hijack This and DDS logs so these can be properly assessed in case virus remnants are still active. This is waht I am currently trying to do, however Hijack This will not save a log file for some reason (I am using Vista 32 bit). Do you feel this is appropriate?

8. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks. Unhide works for the hidden files, but desktop shortcuts are still deleted =( It only shows the program folders, with no shortcuts inside of them.

9. slefishman1984

slefishman1984

Having this isse ALOT with Windows XP Recovery and also Windows Crashes Delivery.

Watching this post for replies

10. slefishman1984

slefishman1984

**** UPDATE *****

When getting Windows Recovery XP

The virus/scareware hides the start menu links in

c:\documents and settings\<infected User name>\Local Settings\TEMP\SNTMP ( Windows XP )

Make sure you do not run any temp cleaners as it will delete this folder and all your links!!

If you have ran combofix already!! Check the Qooo folder under Quarantine and look for that path mentioned above.

I am still looking for spot for vista and windows 7. I will update ASAP!!

11. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks for that. So what is in that folder? All the shortcuts?

12. slefishman1984

slefishman1984

Folder will be named

1 2 4 etc etc

All shortcuts and .lnk's will be listed in there.

Doing more research

1 = Start Menu Program shortcuts
    2 = Current User Quick Start shortcuts
    4 = All Users Desktop folders and shortcuts

13. slefishman1984

slefishman1984

C\Users\Infected User \AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp

Vista and Win7 Shortcut Links!

14. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Awesome thanks! And where can I restore those to? The startup items folder?

15. slefishman1984

slefishman1984

Windows XP
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

Drop them there. It will ask to replace the programs folder that is already there. Go ahead and replace it.

Windows Vista & 7

Still looking into it. I am getting Access Denied for Default user and also All Users

Will update asap!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice