Solved: Start up options

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TORB

Hi Good Peoples,

I used to drop in here for good advise from time to time but I am now getting hooked on this place; its more addictive than red wine. :D

I have just got a new PC which came preloaded with XP Home. As I wanted to use XP Pro I nuked what was on there, or so I thought, and installed Pro from scratch. Now when I boot up (as distinct from booting it which I would like to do regularly,) when it starts it gives me a screen asking if I want to boot from XP Pro or XP Home etc.

Is there anyway I can get rid of that first screen please?

I think you can change the settings for that by going to
Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button > Edit
which will open up the list of startup items to change. Try deleting the line that contains XP Home or putting timeout equal to 0 so it doesn't make you choose.

As always, make a backup of whats in there before changing it so you can change it back.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
When you did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, did you first delete the current partition, create a new partition, then format the new partition with the NTFS file system?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
start > run > msconfig
Click the boot.ini tab
Click Check all boot paths.

TORB

I am now in the poo bigtime!!!

I took curos2 advice and changed the timeout to zero and now I can't boot windows.

It says there is a configuration problem and the computer could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot paths etc.

So all the info is there but I can't even start it in safe mode so I can change the file back again.

Any ideas on how I can start it please? My orgional XP disk doesnt seem to help either as it doesnt start in safe mode.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You will need to get into the recovery console and probably see if you can edit the boot.ini file from there.
Replacing a Damaged Boot.ini
If your system fails to start due to a damaged Boot.ini file, you can use the following methods to replace the file or to correct errors.

The bootcfg command is a new addition to the Windows XP Professional Recovery Console.

To use the Recovery Console bootcfg command to rebuild a Boot.ini file (Automatic Method)

Start Recovery Console.
At the Recovery Console prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild.
Windows XP Professional scans the hard disks on your system and checks for Windows installations. You can then rebuild the Boot.ini file.

Note

The Recovery Console bootcfg command is not the same as the Windows XP Professional Bootcfg.exe command-line tool. Bootcfg.exe resides in the systemroot\System32 folder and is a stand-alone command-line tool that you cannot use in Recovery Console.
To use Recovery Console to create a new Boot.ini file (Manual Method)

Start Recovery Console.
For more information about installing and using Recovery Console, see "Using Recovery Console" earlier in this chapter and "Tools for Troubleshooting" in this book.

From the Recovery Console prompt, type:
map

A list appears containing hard disk and partition information for Windows XP Professional and other operating systems, such as Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0. Record and use this information to correct errors to an existing Boot.ini file, or to create a new Boot.ini file by using a text editor, such as Notepad, on another computer. (You must use another computer because Recovery Console does not provide text-editing tools.)
Taken from the bottom of this page.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp

This is why I recommend what I did above because most people dont understand how to edit the boot.ini file.

TORB

Unfortunatly the recovery console appears to be empty.:eek:

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
That is kind of vague. Could you explain that a little.

TORB

When I hit F10 to go into the recovery console, it took me back to the same error message as I had previously.

Luckily I did a complete backup 36 hours ago and had also backed up one main data file that I had did a bit of work on, so I have decided to do a complete recovery. At least I will not lose much, just a few emails etc; nothing of great importance.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Torb:

In your very first comments in your thread, you weren't specific on how you installed Windows XP Pro, or else I wouldn't have asked the question that I did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
TORB said:
When I hit F10 to go into the recovery console, it took me back to the same error message as I had previously..
I have never heard of pressing F10 to get into the Recovery Console. Not sure what you did.

TORB

Hi Squashman,

According to the screen at comes up when teh machine botts, you have to hit F10 to get into the Recovery Console.

Anyway, now at least its solved, the machine has been restored and the delay reduced to 2 seconds, and thats not an issue.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
TORB said:
Hi Squashman,

According to the screen at comes up when teh machine botts, you have to hit F10 to get into the Recovery Console.

Anyway, now at least its solved, the machine has been restored and the delay reduced to 2 seconds, and thats not an issue.
To get into the Recovery Console you boot with your XP Install cd and chose the first Repair option.

If you don't want the two second delay, just do what I posted earlier.
start > run > msconfig
Click the boot.ini tab
Click Check all boot paths.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts