1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Start up programs decrease

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Zook, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zook

Zook Guest Thread Starter

I'm trying to reduce the number of programs that start up when I start my computer. I'm using Windows ME. On the schedule which shows the start up programs I unchecked all (there were many checked) but four. I clicked ok and was advised to restart the computer, which I did. I then looked at the start up programs list and all the ones I had unchecked had the check mark back again. I need to reduce the start up load because it is really slowing down the response time.

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

3. Cinders

Cinders

I think they will all start up again unless you check the Selective Startup under the General Tab.

Cinders

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Zook:

Under PROGRAMS in the Start menu, you should have a listing that says STARTUP. Are there any listings in STARTUP, or does it say "Empty"?

Any programs that are listed in STARTUP will load when you restart your computer. Select the ones that you don't want to load during startup, right-click on them, then click Delete - Yes.

Doing this only prevents those programs from loading during startup. It does not uninstall or delete them.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

5. raybro

raybro

Don't know if this applies to ME as I've never used that particular OS, but I know in Win98SE there are some programs in the msconfig/startup tab which if unchecked, will create another entry when rebooted. Now there will be 2 entries of the same item. One checked and one unchecked. This is due to having the item in more than one key in the registry. On my system this occurres in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_Software_Microsoft_Windows... Run and Run Services. It's my understanding this can happen with other keys like Run and Run Once as well.

WARNING... If you are not familiar with the Registry, don't mess with it until you get a better idea of what to do for your particular need. Even if you do know what you are doing, always make a backup before changing anything. :D

6. billoo

billoo

After you have acted upon the advice in the above posts you can additionally consider installing startup cpl exe from www.mlin.net . This programme provides easiness in maintaining startup programmes. In addition it offers deleting the startup entries which you can even restore later on if needed.

7. Zook

I'm really impressed and grateful for all the great (and fast) response to my question. TSG is performing a valuable service. As soon as I have had a chance to implement the advice I'll post a response.

8. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Clicky on "Start"
    Clicky on "Run"
    type in "msconfig" - without the quote marks

Go to the "startup" tab

Uncheck what you don't want to run.

Only thing running in mine is my anti-virus and system tray.

When you restart, if something is missing that you want there, go back and re-enable it.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  10. Zook

Memory Loss
    Thanks again for the good advice

11. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Let's take a look at what really IS starting up.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

12. Zook

Thank you all for your great help. The problem has been solved.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice