1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bettydnz, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bettydnz

bettydnz Thread Starter

Win98se - when starting up this appears - meaning please.
    c:\>set tvdumpf Lags=10
    There was just one and now over the weeks has increased to three and under those is c:\> as if ready for the next one.

2. beefy

beefy

3. junker39

junker39

4. bettydnz

bettydnz Thread Starter

Thank you beefy, it had me worried. I am running Zonealarm pro so it does it with this one to.

5. provobis

provobis

beefy & junker39, with regard to bettydnz's worry about c:\>set tvdumpf Lags=10, I too have that apperaring as windows boots up, first once then twice etc, and now five times, the last entry is not ="10" but ="8". I am still using 98SE as many others with this question have stated. What worries me though, in spite of the advisories that it's harmless, is that booting up has slowed considerably and the ZA icon takes forever to appear in my tray (which also means I better not go anywhere until it does or I'll either freeze or have to wait anyway). So I'm worried. Have you found out anything more current that might indicate if there's a relationship with ZA and slower PC performance(s)?

6. junker39

junker39

provobis, if you are running the free version of ZA, you may consider replacing it with an older version. I've used 4.5.594 for a number of years and have had no problems with it on 98SE, ME, and 2000 PCs.(I've got it on my old Compaq with XP but that doesn't count. XP causes so many delays, I wouldn't notice if the firewall was acting up anyway) It does it's job and does it well. Every on line firewall tester I've used gives me an excellent mark. No bad guys get in or out. Here's a link to the free 4.5.594 if you want to get it.
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=38176#M38176

7. provobis

provobis

Thanks for the response junker39, in fact I thought of going back to an earlier version of ZA (if the slowdown issues I refered to were caused by ZA updates which I still don't know for sure), but in any case I did not have the link that you posted, thanks again. But do you know if there may be (comparative) security deficiencies with the earlier ZA version? After all, one would think that the latest firewall version (should be) improved to deal with the latest security threats and hacker advances, or are later versions just hype to encourage registration??? (I do use the free ZA download).

Anyone else have input for these questions?

UPDATING and editing this post, knowing that I could download (the current) ZA firewall I tried to install the older version available at junker's link. Two things happen...a message that I cannot install an older "restricted" version without first uninstalling the newer version I am using...or if I uninstall the newer version I had and try installing the older version there is a message that validation failed for C:\windows\ system \VCDATA.DLL and as a result my attempted installation exits...so until I get get around those I guess I'm stuck with whatever version ZA wants to allow me to have, like it or not!

I do agree that ZA seems to provide good firewall security, but from day one have always been (unfavorably) impressed with the seemlingly intrusive or imposing methods ZA uses to install, promote, and maintain its application.
    It's almost like a combination adware/spyware feeling.

8. junker39

junker39

provobis, you may want to start a new thread with this problem. Most folks will ignore a thread already marked as solved.
    You may have some regisrty entries that need to be deleted before it will let you downgrade. I've never had problems with it so I'm not able to help on that part. As far as intrusive or imposing methods, again, no problems after the initial pop-up wanting to upgrade to a newer version. You've got something going on that maybe some of the more knowledgable members can fix. Good luck.

9. provobis

provobis

Will do! Look for it at "ZA-slow windows/start up".

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice