Solved: Starting In Safe Mode Options!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Using Windows XP Home and trying to start in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key which brings me to a Boot Menu with no "Safe Mode" option listed. I can start in "Safe Mode" by going into the System Configuration Utility and selecting the BOOT.INI tab and putting a check mark at the /SAFEBOOT and then restarting my system, but I would prefer to tap a "F" key while restarting.

All the documents I read concerning starting in Safe Mode says to use the F8 key for Windows XP but it's not working on my system.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks ...

USB keyboard? . . you may have to boot with a PS/2 keyboard to have it recognized during boot

What is on the menu that gets displayed when you press the F8 key.

Seen quite a few computers that this also brings up the option for which device you want to boot to.

Agreed, I have an ECS mobo that did that and never could get to the safe menu

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Bob Cerelli said:
What is on the menu that gets displayed when you press the F8 key.

Seen quite a few computers that this also brings up the option for which device you want to boot to.
Yes, it brings the "Boot Menu" options of:

Floopy, DVD-Rom, DVD-RW.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Wait until your computer gets to the Windows boot logo. This is the screen that has the bar that moves across the screen. As soon as you see that, then start pressing F8.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Squashman said:
Wait until your computer gets to the Windows boot logo. This is the screen that has the bar that moves across the screen. As soon as you see that, then start pressing F8.
Tried, but it took me to Windows.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
GoJoAGoGo said:
Tried, but it took me to Windows.
Don't know what to tell you. Works fine on all my computers. As soon as I see the Windows XP bootlogo screen I press F8 and it brings up the boot menu options. You should be able to start hitting F8 as soon as the bios is done starting up. If you are tapping F8 while the bios is starting up, that is why you get the drive boot options. Wait until the bios is done loading and has passed off control to Windows. Which is why I said to try it as soon as you see the bootlogo.

Doesn't make any sense I guess. What is the make and model of your computer or what is the motherboard make and model?

Edit: Was just testing this out. You really need to be quick about pressing F8 after the bios loads. If you wait to long into the Bootlogo it won't give you the Advanced boot menu options.

I also tried out the old F5 key. This was also used in the past for Safe Mode. When I pressed F5 after my bios loaded I got an option to select which OS I wanted to load. I know why that is even though I only have one OS. It is a good option to have. But, what intrigued me was at the bottom of that screen it says press F8 for advanced boot menu options.

So maybe if F5 works you can then press F8 after that to get into Safe Mode.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Squashman said:
Edit: Was just testing this out. You really need to be quick about pressing F8 after the bios loads. If you wait to long into the Bootlogo it won't give you the Advanced boot menu options.

I also tried out the old F5 key. This was also used in the past for Safe Mode. When I pressed F5 after my bios loaded I got an option to select which OS I wanted to load. I know why that is even though I only have one OS. It is a good option to have. But, what intrigued me was at the bottom of that screen it says press F8 for advanced boot menu options.

So maybe if F5 works you can then press F8 after that to get into Safe Mode.
I was finally able to use the F8 key to reach the "Advanced Boot Menu Options". I starting tapping the F8 key as soon as the BIOS appeared and it took me to the ""Advanced Boot Menu Options". Also the F5 key worked.

Thanks for your input ... (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online