1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Starting Problem, also can I leave it on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raygdw, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

My pc has developed a problem. When I turn it on about 50% of the time nothing happens. No signal to the monitor, no BIOS beep just the sound of the fan.
    If I then turn it off and on again a few times from the power supply eventually it starts and all is great.
    Once it is running I can restart without any problem.

Any suggestions welcomed.
    Win XP SP2

So until someone can suggest a fix I was wondering would there be a problem just leaving it on 24/7?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing I would do would be to swap in a known good power supply to test/troubleshoot.

Next if your ps fails, it can take out other hardware as well; ie board, ram, video, etc. Sometimes a ps just fails and no damage is done. Other times it can take out other expensive parts.

3. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Thanks that sounds sensible the only problem is I do not have access to another power supply.
    Is there any way to test it online or anything?
    If it is the ps would it keep working as it does while the machine is turned on and only give a problem when starting from cold?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cold boot problems that go away after one or two start attempts are very often pw supply problems.

No, you cannot test your ps online. You can buy a ps tester however I always swap in a known working pw supply to test.
    FWIW I have never used a tester; some guys like them and some do not.

5. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

OK thanks so I must get a power supply unit. Are they system specific? If so how do I find out what my system requires?

6. gomes

gomes

Some power supplies are modeled and best configured with specific chassis. Make sure the power supply can actually fit in the location of where the original one once was. In addition, if you don't mind spending a little extra, buy a name brand power supply. I'm assuming you're not a gamer, and you don't have hardware that's very dependant on a power supply.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it is not a branded pc and it would be ok with us if you wanted to tell us your hardware or pc brand , virtually any psu, preferably decent brand like Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake over 400 watts would be fine. Really sounds like dying psu I agree.

8. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
    My motherboard is Epox EP-8KTA2L
    My system AMD Duron Processor
    851MHz
    RAM 640

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well for that anything branded would work fine. A 300 or 350 watt Antec would last forever.

10. brite750

brite750

your MB will take just about any atx psu that can supply a 20pin atx plu, most new ones are called 20+4 wich would be fine, what about your case? why dont you tell us what your current PSU is just look on the label inside the case

11. brite750

brite750

12. brite750

brite750

make sure you dont buy a 24pin because you will need an adapter then, as Rich says your system is older so a nice 350watt antec, sparkle power, enermax, coolermaster, thermaltake...etc. will out last your system

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Brite most of those 24 pin have the 4 pin slide off so it can be 20 and that way they can use it later on in a new build also, part of the reason I would favor a 350 vs 300 .

14. brite750

brite750

yep i would hope so, but who knows what crazy stuff they have over there in UK:D

15. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

You have all been very helpful Thanks a million I really appreciate all the input.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice