1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Startup error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bomb #21, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bomb #21

bomb #21 Thread Starter

Hi all. :)

Have started getting the following error message during startup: ( :( )

Primary Master <SATA device not found>
    Secondary Master <SATA device not found>

After a few seconds it goes away by itself & PC starts as normal (else I wouldn't be writing this ;) ).

Once into Windows, Device Manager (Other devices) shows Raid Controller as a query. Device Status shows:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Driver Details tells me "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"

In BIOS, the boot order is: floppy -- LITE-ON CD/DVD combi drive -- Maxtor HD. And in some other area (?devices?), Primary IDE Master is the Maxtor, Primary IDE Slave is "not detected", Secondary IDE Master is the LITE-ON, Secondary IDE Slave is "not detected".

Running XP Home SP2. Board is ASUS. BIOS is American Megatrends. Processor is 2.65 P4. Not even sure I should worry about it since it seems to run OK, then again I haven't changed anything as far as I remember, so when things start to happen by themselves it makes me jumpy.

Any advice would be appreciated, but please bear in mind I know squat when it comes to hardware/OSes. TIA, bomb.

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi bomb
    Just try this.Re boot /as soon as your bios screen goes hit F8 or the key you use to go into safe mode / Then scroll to start my computer at the last good configuration./ then it enter
    Good luck
    Rex

3. bomb #21

bomb #21 Thread Starter

Hi rex. :)

Thanks for the suggestion ... but it made no difference. :(

I noticed that at the top of the screen with the "SATA device not found" error msgs there's "hit CTRL-S to enter setup", which goes to a (SIS) RAID setup utility. But that gets me nowhere cos I've only got one HD (I guess :eek: ).

Maybe it thinks RAID is set up & it's trying to find > 1 RAID disks (hence 2 errors), drawing a blank & then proceeding as "normal". Do you think I should disable the RAID device in (CPL) Device Manager?

4. GripS

GripS

I think your on the right track. If your not using RAID then disable it in the bios. I do not have a motherboard with the AMI bios so you may have to navigate a bit to find it.

5. rexgrant

rexgrant

I have now I dont use a raid config,But that usually just stops windows looking for raid on startup.But you never know it might work.You may have to remove your Mobo drivers and reinstall them.
    Maybe one of our more technical minded members will come along and fix it for you
    Good luck
    Rex(y)

6. bomb #21

bomb #21 Thread Starter

OK, found an option in BIOS to disable "OnChip SATA Controller" & it now boots w/no error msgs. And the Other Devices node in Device Manager has vanished by itself. And all seems to be running well.

If it boots OK in the AM I'll mark this solved ... as long as no-one's posted "don't do that, you idiot" in the meantime.

Thanks for the hand-holding guys. (y) ( :eek: )

7. GripS

GripS

noones gonna call you an idiot. If your not using SATA then there is no reason for it to be enabled. It will be fine in the morning.

8. bomb #21

bomb #21 Thread Starter

And so it was. (y)

Thanks again, marking this Solved. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice