1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Startup files deleted

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dumbanddumber, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumbanddumber

dumbanddumber Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted all the startup files. When I was trying to startup the comp, it gave me the alert "invalid system disk". I tried to reboot the system with a startup diskette and the windows 98 CDrom. I transferred the system from drive A to C by using the command A:\sys C:. The computer boots up to windows 98, which appears for a split second and then I only get a c prompt. I tried to start it in safe modus, same result. What's the next step? The deleted files are not completely gone, they are still on the windows surface in the recycle bin.
    Thank you for your help,
    dummie

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

If this is the case, then why don't you just type in:

copy c:\recycled

This should copy all of the files in the recycle bin, back onto your C: drive.

3. dumbanddumber

Thank you. I'll give that a try when I get home.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

That will not work, since the files in c:\Recycled, at the DOS level, do not reflect the Windows file names. They will all have a DC prefix.
    If you know the file size of each deleted file, you can do a rename and then copy it back to the correct directory.

When you say "deleted all the startup files", exactly what do you mean? What files?

5. columbo

columbo

Sorry 'bout that,

I didn't think of the name change. However, the file extensions won't have changed, so that should help in figuring out which is which as well.
    Can you type in c:\windows\win ?
    Do you receive an error message?

6. dumbanddumber

Thank you guys. I'm not exactly sure what files got deleted. The ones I copied all had that DC prefix and then o.doc, 13.lnk, 15.log, 18., 21.log, 22.log, 24.txt, 29.log. That's by far not all that got deleted though.
    I also tried the command you suggested, Columbo, the error message says HINEM.sys is missing (make sure that the file is in your windows directory...).
    Thanks for your quick answers!

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'd suggest checking the msdos.sys file to be sure it's in good shape before going any further. Using the sys c: command can nuke the msdos.sys file if your not careful. You'll end up with the one from the boot diskette loaded to the drive and it's basically empty.

At a prompt type in the following and take a look at the msdos.sys file

edit c:\msdos.sys

If all it contains is one line that reads something like ;W98EBD ... then copy msdos.sys from another W98 PC to a diskette.

Then copy it to the root of c:\ on the bad PC, remove the diskette and restart the PC.

copy a:\msdos.sys c:\

If the msdos.sys file is ok, then follow <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q296/6/36.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=himem.sys&rnk=10&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98> this</a> article and load a new copy of himem.sys

8. dumbanddumber

Thank you, Bryan. I guess that went way over my head... I am certainly not sure whether the system disk is ok or not. The article was a bit too technical, I'm afraid. So, do I have to give in and bring the computer to a shop?
    Thank you anyway for all your help.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can also copy himem.sys from a floppy to c:\windows. You can use the copy that is present on a boot disk or you can copy one to a floppy from another Win98 computer. Then from the a:\> prompt enter:

copy himem.sys c:\windows

10. dumbanddumber

Thanks guys. As I copied the himem.sys from the floppy on the harddisk, it was already on there. I replaced the existing file anyway to make sure it's a good one. The computer still gives me the same error message that the himem.sys file is missing when I try to start it with windows\win. Could there be another reason? Thanks for your help!

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Himem.sys has to load before the execution of the win command. Even in a "normal" system, if you were to boot to a "safe mode command prompt" and try to start by entering "win", you would get that error.

Try a "Normal" or "Safe Mode" (not "safe mode command prompt") start from a Boot Menu. (press ctrl key starting up to access the boot menu).

You should also verify the presence of a valid msdos.sys file by entering the following commands from a c:\> prompt:

attrib -h msdos.sys

edit msdos.sys

the file should open in the DOS editor and contain at least the following lines at the top:

[Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

Press alt+F, X to exit the DOS editor.

crtl-alt-del will reboot you.

I would also try booting with a Win98 startup disk and at the a:\> prompt, enter:

sys c:

(you should get a message "system files transfered")

then remove the boot disk and reboot.

12. dumbanddumber

Thanks again. I already transferred the systemfiles from the floppy. I guess I'm in bigger trouble than I thought: the msdos.sys doesn't really contain any paths at all. How can that happen? It just says "sys"...

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, that's a good discovery, Windows will not boot that way. As Bryan mentioned, it sometimes happens as a result of a sys c: command; I'll spare you the technical details, but it has to do with how Windows determines whether there is a valid file present or not.

Using the DOS editor, you can add the lines I posted, all of them.

Only this time, you must remove the read only attribute of msdos.sys first. So from the c:\> prompt enter:

attrib -h -r -s msdos.sys
    edit msdos.sys

Now remove what is there (;sys) and add those lines.

Press alt+F to access the file save and exit menu. Save and exit.

Then try another ctrl-alt-del to reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q149/1/10.ASP

14. dumbanddumber

Thank you very much! That worked! I appreciate all your help!

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Nice to hear you're back in business. You're welcome, from all of us :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice