1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Startup PnP issue...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anthonytw, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anthonytw

anthonytw Thread Starter

I am currently using WinXP Pro SP2 with all the critical updates and some of the software / hardware updates via Windows update. My issue is that every time I boot up, I will see the desktop after loggin in but it will be iconless and start-bar-less for a good minute or so while the CPU does nothing. I can open the task manager to confirm nothing is/seems to be going on. Then all of a sudden the CPU usage goes up and everything loads. After a lot of trial and error and a ton of reboots the source of my problem is the Plug and Play service. The issue is gone when I disable it via msconfig, but I imagine that's not a good service to have disabled so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be. Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you installed any new hardware recently? When did the problem first begin? System Restore might be a quick fix.

Run eventvwr.msc and look for errors under the System log that might associate with the problematic Plug n Play detection.

If you look in the Device Manager, are there any problems evident there?

Also:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

3. anthonytw

anthonytw Thread Starter

Okay, with your help I figured it out. With PnP enabled it was the WIA service giving me issues (which makes some sense because I recently installed scanner drivers). I'm thinking the drivers or some of the software turned WIA to started and automatic so it was trying to start up on the boot. The system log told me WIA was hanging on startup and after a little research I found out it should be on manual. That made everything work.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Wish I knew about system logs earlier... -_-

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear. I'll mark the thread "Solved", something which is also available to you in the Thread Tools menu when appropriate.

Of course you are most welcome for the assist.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice