1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Startup Problem!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by burfeind0, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

Whenever I turn on my computer, it starts up normally and when the log on screen would normally come up, it shows "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:00000002 in VxD ---. This was called from 0028:C1539223 in VxD ---. It may be possible to continue normally."

It then gives me the option to restart by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. (Works after pressing it twice)
    Or to attempt to continue. (It returns to the logo screen and freezes.)

I can start my computer in safe mode, however, I can not use the internet on it. I use a WLAN adapter and the computer only gives me access to a modem.

I can provide a lot of system info, however, I will need to know what you want to know.

I am going to try to fix it using a guide I found on microsoft's home page. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188867)
    Please help me any way you can!

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    Follow instructions from the Microsoft site your about to visit and run a Clean Boot.
    Let us know if that works.

Can be linked to Faulty Ram..how much Ram do you have installed?
    Or missing. .faulty driver.
    Right click My computer>properties>device manager.
    Any yellow exclamation marks?
    Restoring the Registry may help.
    Reboot tpa F8 choose command prompt.
    Type scanreg /restore [note space]
    Choose date prior to problem Not the oldest.

More blue screen info.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q150314/

3. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

I ran all of the tests that were on the microsoft site. None of them worked.

This computer was given to me by a relative. I mixed some of the components from an HP Brio running MS WinXP Home Edition.
    I have 256MB RAM. The original ram chip as well as two other chips. I am not sure how much space each one has, however, one has eight black things on either side, the others only have black things on only one side.
    As for the device manager, no problems, but some are disabled because of safe mode.
    When I run most MS-DOS programs, including scanreg, I get the BSOD this time saying "Memory Parity Error Detected. [Line Feed] System Halted."
    The site that I mentioned earlier mentioned a registry scanner that runs from windows (not in MS-DOS or a MS-DOS sub-system.) You get it by going to the start menu, programs, accessories, and opening the System Information utility. Then, from the tools menu, you open the Registry Checker.

New info of sorts, I looked over the boot log, and it has a line that states "LoadFail = ****2sup.vxd" (I forgot what the first part was).

4. blues_harp28

Hi "I have 256MB RAM. The original ram chip as well as two other chips."
    Remove all Ram sticks..Except original 256Mb stick.
    Reboot..let us know the result.
    What other components did you install?
    " I mixed some of the components from an HP Brio running MS WinXP Home Edition."

5. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

The only other component was a 20GB hard drive. If it helps any, it contains Windows XP.

6. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

Same response with only the first RAM chip.

7. blues_harp28

Hi try different Ram in different slots.
    "Memory Parity Error Detected. [Line Feed] System Halted."

8. blues_harp28

Hi also reboot tap F8.
    Choose Step By Step Confirmation.
    Click Yes to all.
    Let us know which fails to load.

9. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

Seems impossible to do, because it now reports "Operating System not Detected".

I have a boot disk from windows XP and at this point, I would like to know if I can boot from Windows XP.

10. blues_harp28

11. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

I do not have anything that came in the box except for the computer. That goes for my previous computer as well. The XP boot disk is a dos disk.

The site that you gave me tells me how to perform a clean install of windows. I wanted to know if I would be able to use my computer with windows XP using my existing copy.

12. blues_harp28

Hi you will need a Win Xp install Cd.

D/load Win 98 boot disk.
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software_download.htm
    Boot with the startup disk.
    At the a:> prompt enter:
    sys c:
    If you get a message that "system files were transferred" then it has worked correctly. Remove the startup disk.
    ctrl-alt-del to reboot.
    It may just work..if not the system files are lost and you need to reinstall 98 using a Win98 Cd.

13. burfeind0

burfeind0 Thread Starter

Thanks for everything. It is not working how I wanted it to, but I came up with a solution. I am using an open-sourced version of linux until I can get the money for a decent version of winodws. As for "Operating System not Found", I didn't have the primary hard drive plugged in.

14. blues_harp28

(y) thanks for the update.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice