1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Startup problems windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hover1977, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

having problems with my laptop. i restarted my laptop, but would not start up again.

it seems that i have lost my partition for c drive. i have 250 gig hdd, partitioned so i have 60 gig slave.

after trying everything i could with recovery, i would not start.

when trying to install fresh copy, i could see that my c drive was missing. all was available was the 100 mb partition for windows( part of C) and my slave drive (half of which was missing) only showing 30 gig with 25 gig free.

The data on the Slave drive is crucial to me to recover, my accounts for the last 5 years!!
    Why wont it let me see the other 200 odd gig i have on C? i must have deleted the partition by accident, i had just installed partition magic ( but only installed) when it went wrong.

Cant start new operating system because i need my accounts on the slave, and no other hard drive space is recognised!

PLEASE HELP
    Cheers in advance

2. metalmadness

metalmadness

Did you do any partition jobs (add/delete partitions) after installing Partition Magic?

3. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

been there done that.... today on givawayoftheday.com and its free today only, might be your answer if you have another computer that you can remote or cable up to. The application i used was Get Data back at $80 but i did get all my pics, music and data back. Took 24 hrs to final. the music was all there but the names and the songs were wrong.

4. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

No, didnt do any partition work at all. In the install process it asked me to make a disc, i chose not to and shut down windows when installation had completed. Nightmare!!!!

5. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

cont... after that i could not reboot the thing!!! the cable you suggest wont solve the problem of finding where my lost HDD space has gone tho!! if i can find that, i could put new operating system on C then drag it off the slave, job done!

6. JPLamb

JPLamb

if you got a cable and were able to attach the drive(s) to a different machine you would be able to see the partition info and as Byrone said you could use software to get the data back.

Seems odd tho that you didnt do any partiotion editing and yet it has made a mess,

you will be needing to connect the drive to a working machine to recover any data

7. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

ok, i have made progress. i have used power suite to retrieve my lost data successfully!! result. And has given me a good look at the partitions. C drive is only 100mb, D drive is 30 gig, and there is 202 gig of space which is labelled UNKNOWN.

Now within power suite i cant do anything with this drive unless i give the drive a letter name, however it wont allow me to change the letter name. if i can put a letter to this i can get what i want off it and format it!

Any ideas! i only but want to recover my music but not essential,

cheers in advance for any help!

8. stocker340

stocker340

9. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

cheers will give it a go now

10. JPLamb

JPLamb

If you have to reinstall windows it will let you sort the partitions out, it will let you extend the c drive in to the UNKNOWN section, If you have all of your data then reinstalling windows might be cheaper, easier and take less time.

11. hover1977

hover1977 Thread Starter

Right, i went back into windows setup, and tried to setup on the drive that was available, but it didnt let me, still too small.

so i deleted both partitions! trying to get more space, still wouldnt let me setup, but upon restart, it recognised the 202 gig drive and renamed it c: automatically.

i attempted repair on the drive and all is good, got the system back with no loss of data!!!

good stuff, thanks to everyone who helped! love this website!

12. JPLamb

JPLamb

glad you got it all working,

I'm not 100% on what exactly cause the problems or how it is not working but it is and that's all that counts =)

You can mark the thread as 'Solved' at the top left of the page

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!