1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Static IP Office Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AizA, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Good day and thank you for reviewing this post. Although I am the owner of a small home computer repair business, I get calls from offices now and again. I have the opportunity to hook up at a local doctor's office, but they use static IPs. I understand the hardware setups ... the switches, the ethernet cables, and I have set up numerous home networks with multiple computers, so I am somewhat familair with networking lingo and set ups ... but I have never dealt with this static IP stuff.
    I guess one question is WHY does someone choose to have static versus dynamic ips? Knowing WHY might help me understand this.
    And another question is what things do I need to watch for or be careful of during my re-setting up of all his hardware? His set up now does not work well and I am coming in to re-do it ... I am not the one that initially set up this office. So I am going to break out all the connections and hardware and basically start over. But doing it 'my' way would involve Dynamic IPs, and I have no idea if that is going to confuse anything.
    Some hardware info .... they do not have a server, per se. They are using a desktop PC as their 'server'. Only 2 other computers are accessing this 'server' for their client records. The other 5 pcs in the office are merely computers for other functions; not tying into the 'server'.
    I hope I have provided enough information to garner your assistance ... or the assistance of others that are more knowledgeable about this than I am. I stand available to answer any other questions.
    --I am friendly with a number of my local 'competitors' ... one is a networking type dude and prefers business-work over home-work. I can certainly call him in, but as you can imagine, doing so means I would have to pay him. I will call him if needed, but I hope that I can avoid that, and learn some valuable things for myself, via this forum and my upcoming work.
    I start my work there Wed, April 28, '10.
    Thank you again for being so kind as to review and hopefully answer this post.
    Have a wondeerful day.

Don in Tucson
    The Virus Slayer

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

It probably is due to some software they run on the workstations that require static IPs.

Static only means the workstation (PC) does not use DHCP to get an address from the router, it requests a specific IP every time it is booted. There can be issues with this type of setup, if the router (or whatever is doing the DHCP) is not configured properly, there can be IP collisions on the network if there are workstations configured for static and some for DHCP. You would need to limit the DHCP range in the router to 10 or 20 addresses it will hand out automatically, then set any Static IPs on the workstations to addresses Outside of this limited range you defined in the router.

Merely breaking down the hardware and resetting up will not change any of these IP settings, you just might make note of what is connected to what.

Getting in the middle of someone else's network configuration (mess, from the sounds of it) can be a pain sometimes. You may have to hire help, if you learn something from the hired person during the setup, it may be worth the $$.

3. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Mum,
    Thank you for your detailed response. I understood about 90% of it and the rest makes enough sense that I figure I can 'get it' once I start poking around.
    This assigning addresses is done in the configuration table area, right?
    -I would like to change a few pieces of hardware; right now he has a DSL modem/router feeding a gigabyte 16 port switch that feeds a wall mounted 6-port (I do not know what they call this device) gizmo that feeds inside the walls around the office to wall-mounted cat5 jacks. One of those ports, coming from the wall, feeds a router in another room. I would prefer to see a switch there rather than a router as I have had router-to-router problems before.
    Given what you told me, it appears as though the COMPUTER itself is the one where the static IP is assigned, not the router, am I correct in that? If so, then replacing a router with a switch should not cause any undue problems. (fingers crossed)
    When doing networks like this, in other places, I have used DHCP (default of course) and merely mapped other comptuers to the 'server' computer. So long as no one changed the routers or swapped DSL for cable, or some such thing, everything has always worked fine.
    So unless this guy has a definite NEED for static, do you know of any reason why I should not, or could not, reconfigure with normal network mapping?
    As you noted, cleaning up another's mess can be a challenge ... but it also gives me a little leeway in that I have to learn the setup AND fix the setup. (I come in as the 'good guy' here)
    And I agree that if I get seriously stuck, the best thing I could do for my customer is hire my 'competitor' to come do the finer things I have failed to do correctly.
    Until I get to that point, however, I will continue to consult the Tech Guys experts .... with humble graciousness.
    Thank you VERY much for your advice and time.

Don in Tucson
    The Virus Slayer

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You want at least one router between your network and the WAN (Internet), this makes for a hardware firewall regardless of what is doing the DHCP. A security feature if used. Not all Modems can deal with more than 1 PC, so eliminating the router may not work.

Yes

Not sure what the question is.

Probably not a device, but just a patch panel and wiring inside the walls, just a way to connect PCs to the switch.

No, it should work. He may have had network issues and decided the best way to deal with it was to assign static IPs, or it was just his way of doing things, networks can be managed a million different ways, that is what makes it tough coming in behind someone sometimes.

5. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Thank you again ... the answers were great ... patch panel .. that's it! LOL

As for the router .... the DSL modem is also a router. Would that suffice given your response?

As for the assigning of addresses ...IPs ... I'll hold off on that one for right now. I tend to think that, as you alluded, the reason they are on Static was trying to fix something not working well.

We'll see! :)

After I work there tomorrow I will provide either a SOLVED response, or a few more questions. :)

You have been extremely helpful, thank you.

Don in Tucson
    The Virus Slayer
    --And TEA Party Mobster :)

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Ok, then there may be no need for the second router, unless that guy needed to do some configuring that was not available in the modem software, at least that is the only reason I can see using a second router in that situation.

I use second and third routers in a setting where several offices of different businesses share the Internet connection to that same building, that way they cannot see each others networks.

Have fun and good luck.

7. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Well, I set up everything and after three days, it is still holding. I appreciate your information as it helped increase my confidence that I was doing things correctly. He still has four computers set up with static and another 3 DHCP. (I found this out by going 'into' the router and reviewing settings).

I think I also know now why he was having problems .... too many routers! LOL I now have him set up with his Qwest DSL modem/router set up like this:
    Port 1 feeding my Linksys 8 port swich
    Ports 2-4 feeding directly to the patch panel that supplies network and Internet to three machines via wall jacks

The switch is feeding 7 outputs like a charm. (Yes, he has a few ethernoet jacks that are for 'future' use)

Now he wants me to re-introduce wifi to his setup .... I'll create a new post if I have probs with that! LOLOL (I suspect that his old wifi router was part of the inconsistency problems he had before)

One last question before I mark this Solved: One of the computers is set up as the check in and check out computer (plugged into a wall jack off the switch) .... this is networked to the 'server' machine (also wall jack through switch). At times, the check in person complains that it 'takes a long time' to access the information from the program/database on the 'server'. Do you know of any way in which I can speed up this interaction? RAM would not make a difference, would it?
    (This is why there was an additional switch/router in thei old system ,., to speed up the interaction between these two) This is not vital, but a request by the doctor. Would the switch I am using be able to make a difference?

Thank you for all your help.

Just a side note .... Tech Guys has been an invaluable resource for me, and I am grateful to all ya'll that help out. I tried to be a giver rather than just a taker, but the University that is requried to be a giver must have chosen against my 'application'. I would love to help others as you have helped me, but it looks like that is not going to happen. So until that changes, I will keep on taking ... feeling a little guilty .. but I tried. :):):) That was not meant to sound snarky ... I am not upset at all ... just want you guys to know how much I appreciate your time and effort. If I can be helpful to any others in any capacity, I would be glad to ... until then, I will continue to come here when I have questions.

Thank you to all ya'll that are Help Qualified. :):)

Don in Tucson
    The Virus Slayer

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If the server is using a 100mbit ethernet adapter, this might be an issue, maybe not considering the low number of users connecting to the server. Consider installing a gigabit ethernet adapter.

Yes if the server is low on memory, this could slow responses down.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the only qualification and university i know of is for Malware Advice, otherwise, you can answer posts in any of our forums here without needed to be formally qualified. Clearly you need to know the subject and provide "good" advice.
    That's how I got started here in 2003, I had a few issues I needed to fix and of course virus/malware from the children using PCs ..... and in return I put back some of time here by answering questions, I started answering the easy questions I knew the answers too and built up from there...

10. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

MUM ...

Yeah, the 'server' is maxed at 2G. I have a 'normal' switch now, but cetainly can install a gigabyte switch. Thanks for the advice!

Don

----

ETAF .... When I tried once to answer someone's post, I was directed to some sort of helper's university to become qualified .. I have no problem with this as it is designed to make sure folks get GOOD advice .... but it is like year long 'course', and requires serious time. I 'applied' and never heard back ... that's cool ... I will try to answer some virus question again soon to see if I can help out. Clearly, viruses and virus slaying is my best subject! :)

I just wanted to be part of the solution from time to time. :):) I would love to help as I have been helped. I cannot describe how grateful I am for the time and effort you folks dedicate to helping people and techs like myself.

Thank you and everyone at Tech Guys!!!!!

Don in Tucson (Ground Zero for the Illegal Immigration Fight)
    The Virus Slayer
    A=A

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OH OK - Yep as I said - you do need to be qualified through an online free University in order to be able to work virus / malware here
    and it can take a year, six months is sometimes also quoted, but that depends on how much time you put in... and it is a lot of work, I started the course and dropped out, it was very very time consuming

Thats a shame - there are three websites that do this - geekstogo, bleeping computer and malwareremoval
    You wont be able to here without the university , sorry

12. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

ETAF .... yeah ... that's the breaks. :) I can at least say I tried ... he he. Thank you very much and I will help elsewhere, if I can! :)

Thank you all --- again. :)

Don

I will mark this solved.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice