1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: static IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RiazMC, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RiazMC

RiazMC Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone can help me on this!

I've got a server running windows2000, and i need to assign a static ip to some items connected to the network, i really have no idea where to begin!
    help would very much appreciated.

thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Right click on My Network Places
    Properties
    Right click on Local Area Connection
    Properties
    Double click on Internet Protocol
    From here you can enter the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS

3. jghost5

jghost5

Also as a helpfull hint! I use .1 thru .5 for servers then .6 thru .12 for gateways/routers/switchs then .15 thru .100 for pc's. Just easy to remember the numbers later on!

4. RiazMC

RiazMC Thread Starter

Do i do this on the server? how do i make the Component that i connect to the network pick up the static IP??

Also I was having a look around on the server, and it looks like the IP's are automatically signed, could they already be static IP's ?

As you can probably tell my knowledge on networks is non existant, but the company i work for insist that i look after it!

5. bearqst

bearqst

What "items" do you mean ? Are these additional workstations or something else.

You do not "pick up" static IP's from the server. Static IP's are assigned to each perphipal system i.e. router, switch, workstation, whatever.

The server can only "serve" dynamic IPs to members (workstations or other hardware) that makes a request to the server for an IP address..

Provide a little more info.

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    If you're running DHCP on the server, you can assign them statically from there if you wish (especially if it's a laptop). It's called a reservation. Basically it involves mapping the IP within the DHCP pool to the MAC address of the machine. Then the server will issue that machine the same IP address every time. If you set the IP address statically on the machine itself, you'll have to change the settings everytime you go into a different environment.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are on a network and need to assign static IP addresses to things like directly connected network printers or computers that will pretty much be staying in place, that is fairly straightforward.

You would just do this for each device at each device.

8. RiazMC

RiazMC Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the response. (y)

The item that i'm referring to is a BCM device, its part of the phone system and works with the telephone call logging software that is installed on the server. The s/w requires that the BCM device has a static IP adress.

So if I understand you guys correctly, I can connect the BCM device to the network, and then on the server assign this a static ip. But how do i do this?!

Sorry if i'm goin round in circles, but networking is just beyond me...give me a stand alone pc any day...!

thanks for your help everyone :D

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again - You would just do this for each device at each device.

Since I don't know what it is, you should probably RTM or check with their tech support on how to assign it a static IP address.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!