1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stay With Kaspersky???

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lschul, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have been using Kaspersky for a few years and it works well, never had a problem. My renewal is up again and I am wondering if I should stay with it and pay or if there is a free anti-virus out there that is bullet proof and provides all the protection I need without charging me. Also want something that won't eat up system resources. Opinions?:)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, there are free antivirus which is recommended here often
    what windows version do you have - you may not need a firewall

--------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm not an expert here - but if you look through the security forum, you will see a lot of recommendations for windows 7/vista

The windows 7/vista firewall is considered adequate and especially if you are connected behind a router.
    Have a read in our "general security" forum and look for the advice from our security gurus.

Several excellent free antivirus programs are available (But you should only ever have 1 on the PC at a time otherwise this can cause issues ).

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) I personally use and install in the computers that I work on.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx
    If you are using windows 8 - you already have this product and its now called windows defender (different to the earlier windows versions, also known as "windows defender")

Avast
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

AntiVir
    http://majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_FREE_Antivirus_d955.html

EST Nod 32 also gets a lot of very good reviews although it is not free
    ESET NOD32
    http://www.eset.com/home/

these Two programs are also recommended to be on the PC and can be on with any of the above antivirus programs.

Malwarebytes I personally use and install in the computers that I work on.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

superantispyware I personally use and install in the computers that I work on.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Windows 7. Sorry to ask such a redundant question but I want to know the direct comparison between a freebie and Kaspersky.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Thanks etaf, I will do some research today. I appreciate the starting point.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Oh, I am assuming I can just uninstall Kaspersky if I go that way, are there any files or folders that I have to delete to get a total uninstall?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just looked at MSE and the Mal and spyware programs you posted. Using all three seems a bit redundant...do they provide different protections that you need without conflicts? If I run all three it sounds like it won't be an issue, is that right?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the spyware programs look for different things to MSE
    and i do not have malwarebytes or superantispyware running in the background - I just run on demand - usually malwarebytes around once a week or more often, if i'm not sure of a few sites visited
    mse is always running

but as i say - not a guru , just what I picked up from the security section here

10. Gary16735

Gary16735

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (and it is free) and it is working wonderful. Was using Avast for a long time but it started to mess with both computers.

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Ah so MSE runs all the time and the others are just something you run periodically, therefore, they are not running all the time and consuming resources.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, but you do need to stop them starting with windows

13. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I uninstalled Kaspersky using that tool you provided. Is there any way to verify that the entire program is gone? i am assuming it is but don't want any trouble down the road. Also, MSE install was fast and easy, it is now running a scan. For the other programs, you say to stop them from starting, is that just a setting?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes for superantispyware - just goto preferences
    and uncheck - start with windows
    for malwarebytes
    Right-click on the MBAM icon in the System Tray and uncheck Enable Protection.
    Right-click on the MBAM icon again and then uncheck Start with Windows.
    The Protection Module is now disabled and will not restart

should do the trick - otherwise , you may need to use msconfig to stop the startup - if above does not work - let us know

Kaspersky
    I would run the tool twice - but i have personally removed from about 20-30 machines using the tool and not had an issue , and probably 200-300 on the forums

15. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I think I got it set up correctly. I ran a malware scan and found 3 infections. I am now running the spyware scan and it is up to 229 detections. My system has had no issues so I am surprised there are so many detections...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice