Solved: Stereo Mix records badly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Saxon

Has anyone used the Stereo Mix option with an onboard sound card? I have a Creative AC97 card which gives me very good sound, well as good as I want it to be, but as soon as I use the Stereo Mix option to record anything the results are absolutely dire, the sound being overmodulated or distorted as well as sounding as if it's coming out of a 1910 phonograph or something. I have done everything I could think of, new driver, volume settings etc. Maybe one you sound buffs could enlighten me or do I just need a new sound card or is this to be expected when using the the Stereo Mix i.e. is it an inferior way to record? I would have thought previously that Stereo Mix was as good a way as any to record sound but for me it doesn't work very well. Any advice appreciated.

Saxon

Thanks for the reply NOYB. I have had Audacity in the past and will certainly try it again if as you say you have had good results. However I was thinking of it being a hardware issue rather than software but I'll try Audacity anyway and report the results later. Thanks again

Saxon

Hello again NOYB. Would you Adam 'n Eve it? Audacity did the trick. I should have known better and use a dedicated audio program like Audacity rather than rely on the recording options offered within other programs. Just proves that you can't rely on all parts of any one program to be created equal and it's better to use the dedicated stuff. Thanks very much again to you and to Audacity, you've both saved me a few bucks. (y) :)

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad that worked – kinda sounded like you had volume settings problems.
I’m not sure – but I don’t think the sound card has anything to do with Stereo mix.
Would like to see a block diagram – but I’m thinking the stereo mix is the audio before it gets to the sound card.

There are two volumes that must be set for recording.
First - the playback device (source) must be set so that it’s loud enough to overwhelm any stray noise that might be picked up … but not so loud that it would cause clipping in any circuitry.
Then the Audacity record level must be set so that the loudest passage does not exceed the 0dbmv level as indicated by Audacity.

Not sure what you were trying to record – but are you familiar with Audacity’s ability to capture a noise profile – then remove it from the entire recording ?

Saxon

Yes NOYB I'm familiar with what you've mentioned except the noise profile within Audacity. I've not had cause to get my teeth into this audio business before, but I'll certainly take the learning curve with Audacity. You've kinda whetted my appetite now, and I needed to fill in some holes in my computer knowledge anyway, this is a good start. Thanks again for your imput.

Cheers
Saxon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online