1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stereo or Joint Stereo?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Sideshow_Bob, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sideshow_Bob

Sideshow_Bob Thread Starter

hi quick question, when ripping songs from cds should you use stereo or joint stereo. i noticed that no matter which 1 u use, the file size remains the same.

i would like to know whick one gives u the best quality and such....i want my songs to sound the way they do on the cds without losing any information.

2. dugq

dugq

If you want a technical answer look here

http://harmsy.freeuk.com/mostync/

and here

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31963&hl=stereo+joint

(it starts a bit flamey, but gets more interesting towards the end)

As for which to use, thats really a personal choice, many will say to go for true stereo, because that is more like the original. However, that isn't necessarily true. It is possible to recreate the original sound via joint stereo (all my music is stored in lossless format and uses JS), and JS performs better under compression than true stereo. Therefore, JS should out perform Stereo in any given amount of data, or, if the quality is the same, the JS compression will give more data to other parts of the track. (I hope that makes sense).

You need to bear in mind that there is only so much data to provide for the track, good compression concentrates the data where it is needed. JS allows more data to be used by more important or noticeable elements in the track.

Of course the best way to find out is to test it yourself and run ABX tests.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16295&

Foobar2000 is a good tool to do ABX tests. Try to use quality audio equipment

Doing these tests will show you what your ears find is the best system, which is what it really comes down to.

It is important that you use a good encoder and a bit-rate that will give you a quality that you are happy with. If you are encoding in MP3, then make sure to use LAME. However, if you can use other encoders (if, for example, you are not limited by hardware compatibilty), there are better out there, Ogg Vorbis for bitrates up to 192, Musepack for higher.

One thing, if when you encode both JS and stereo the file size are the same, it sounds like you are encoding with CBR, generally its best to use VBR.

Also

Although you should be able to find a level of compression that will make your tracks sound as good to you as the CDs, the only way to avoid any information loss is to us a lossless compressor (although then we're talking bigger files)

3. Sideshow_Bob

thanks alot for your response...i will definately check all this out

4. Sideshow_Bob

the information u provided me with was very informative, and i am now aware of the miths of JS, some of which i myself believed in. thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice