1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Still need help with AVG Free please...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moskal1, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moskal1

moskal1 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I use AVG Free as virus protection. I know very little about it, I hired an IT guy from the Yellow Pages a couple of years ago to fix my computer and he took care of getting this on my computer for me. Each day, it checks for updates and if it finds one, it instructs me to restart my machine.

Today, there was a priority update ready for me. When I restarted my computer (I have XP), it said that it could not update. The error message I received was: "Update file is damaged. Please use other Update file." I have no idea what this means or how to find another update file to use.

Any ideas? And no, I can not remember the name of the tech company I hired so unfortunately, I can't call them back.

Thank you all.
    J.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it should automatically install for you. I have never had to restart my machine.

Try checking for updates again, by right clicking the avg icon on the bottom right corner and choosing check for updates

3. moskal1

moskal1 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I still get the same error message stating the Update file is damaged. Is there anything else you can think of that I might try?
    thanks,
    J.

4. Augie65

Augie65

5. moskal1

moskal1 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I use AVG Free as virus protection. I know very little about it, I hired an IT guy from the Yellow Pages a couple of years ago to fix my computer and he took care of getting this on my computer for me. Each day, it checks for updates and if it finds one, it instructs me to restart my machine.

Today, there was a priority update ready for me. When I restarted my computer (I have XP), it said that it could not update. The error message I received was: "Update file is damaged. Please use other Update file." I have no idea what this means or how to find another update file to use.

Any ideas? And no, I can not remember the name of the tech company I hired so unfortunately, I can't call them back.

PS Tried right-click and update, tried restarting computer - same message both times.

Thank you all.
    J.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Threads merged, please continue here and don't make duplicate posts for the same problem.

If you want a thread moved to a different forum use the report button, red triangle.

8. moskal1

moskal1 Thread Starter

Thank you Angie65 - my problem is fixed. Thank you also Squashman and cybertech for the lesson in etiquette. I appreciate your website very much.
    Cheers,
    J.

9. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.(y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice