1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stolen Router Code

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OMGItsJimmeh, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OMGItsJimmeh

OMGItsJimmeh Thread Starter

I don't really know where to begin. I never really use forums but i need the help. I am going to be as descriptive as possible so you all understand my problem.

So, a buddy came up from chicago and brought his laptop with and wanted to stay over, he wanted to use my wireless internet available through linksys. He asked me what my pin was and he ended up getting this 8 digit number
    (Example: ####-####)
    ...next to an icon that looked like the refresh button you would see in a I.E. Browser (Black and white 2 bent arrows pointing up and down) on the back of this cool, futuristic, looking black linksys router which is compatible with at least 6 ethernet cords. It says CISCO on the top and reminds me of something out of the Jetsons. Small and thin...

Anyways, As soon as he typed it in my laptop immediately disconnected from the internet. I went looking to see what was wrong and realized he had taken the wrong number. It was not the pin. I believe it was the wrong code. It looks like the connection could be hidden or possibly blocked. I put my ip into I.E. and attempted to rename the connection but no luck. I really don't know what to do about it or what to go through in my laptop (Gah, everyone kept telling me vista sucks, i should have listened). I've been trying to get back on all night and almost all day now. I work at home on my laptop so i really need to figure this out eventually.

When i tried connecting back the only connection available was his fiancees connection JENNIFERPC-NETWORK. Now, He does not live with me and i don't know when he'll come back to visit which worries me because i don't know if i need his laptop to fix the problem. Moving along... I decided to just try and connect through his connection (which somehow became mine? Or i was attempting to connect through his fiancees connection?) but i needed a passphrase/pin to get in and i have tried every number on the back of the futuristic model and the router itself. It wouldn't let me in to his fiancees connection. My main connection to the wireless internet is through the modem i am using right now. Computers that connect through this modem are 2 laptops. It seems MY connection has some how been... blocked? I do not know.

I don't know how to find my linksys connection through my vista laptop or how to go about fixing it through my laptop. A nice step-by-step on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

If any of this is slightly confusing or makes me look too computer illiterate, i apologize...

2. And per se and

And per se and

Most often, unless it has been changed from default, Linksys routers' (especially newer ones) login info is just admin / admin. On my router, which is a WRT54GS, all I have to do is put in "admin" as a password, and I can get into the settings.

EDIT:
    If all else fails, you can just reset the hardware manually. And that will probably be the best option if you can't get in, and if you didn't have any trouble setting it up in the first place.

3. OMGItsJimmeh

OMGItsJimmeh Thread Starter

Best solution. I just went straight for the reset. I didn't see it at first, that damn small little hole just sitting there between the wires...... Heh. Thank you so much :).

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice