1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop 0x0000001E using wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ts2rox47, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ts2rox47

ts2rox47 Thread Starter

I am running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and using a wireless USB card to connect to my home network. The USB card is a Dick Smith Electronics (New Zealand) branded one (a cheap one :)) which uses a Ralink RT73 chip.

Anyway, whenever I transfer files from this computer to another the copying starts, but doesn't get very far. The computer crashes shortly after starting with Stop: 0x0000001E "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED". The file quoted causing the problem is "rt73.sys", which is the driver for the USB card. I have searched the internet and read the Microsoft tech support page about this error and I think the driver is sending requests which the processor cannot understand (or something like that!) I have tried updating the driver, but this has not worked. I have tried the card on a Windows XP computer with the same driver, and it transfers files fine. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(PS. I have also the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error before, but only once.)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. ts2rox47

ts2rox47 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for responding. The account without the '47' on the end can be deleted - I was having a bit of trouble with hotmail that day.

I checked the hardware compatibility list on the Microsoft website. Unfortunately, I could only find the list for Windows XP. My brand (DSE) is not there, but the chip, RT73 is (http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=x&g=d&cid=711&sv=&f=86d&pn=RT73%20USB%20Wireless%20LAN%20Card&oid=2544). The box this card came with has "Ready for: Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP", but not the "Designed for Windows xxxx" logo. The driver the card originally came with was not digitally signed by Microsoft. However, I have updated it using Windows Update to one which is digitally signed, but this hasn't made a difference. I don't know if this matters, but I only experience this problem when transferring files. I have not had this problem when browsing and downloading files from the internet (weird!)

4. ~Candy~

This is the one you posted under. The other has zero posts. So, I'm going to remove that one...otherwise, this post would disappear.

Have you tried transferring small files?

5. ts2rox47

ts2rox47 Thread Starter

It occasionally crashes with small files (<5 MB) , but always crashes when transferring large files.

6. ~Candy~

Transferring large files wirelessly can be a problem. When I need to transfer files, I go hard wired.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice