1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ***STOP 0x00000071?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by almightybob7, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. almightybob7

almightybob7 Thread Starter

Ok, my computer was was suffering from a corrupted NTFS.sys file. (see http://forums.techguy.org/windows-n...-c-windows-system32-ntfs-sys.html#post3285980)
    and I didn't have the recovery disk from when I got the OS, so I used Elvandril's recovery disk thing to fix it. After I did this, XP started to load, but then it goes to a blue screen that says "***STOP: 0x00000071 (0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)
    SESSION_INITIALIZATION _FAILED

if this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows XP updates you need.

if problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable bios memory option such as cacheing or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer and press f8 to select advanced startup."

I'm running XP Pro SP2, and when I tried booting up in Safe Mode, it still came to this screen. I kind of getting worried, because I wasn't able to backup my Hard drive, and I have some Important files on it. So can anyone help me solve this without having to reformat my Hard Drive?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. almightybob7

I tried that, but after I got through the first step and was restarting Windows, it went to the blue screen again. What do you mean by a different restore archive?

4. almightybob7

aaahh!!! Nothing is working! I think that I must have screwed up the ntoskrnl.exe file, but I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. I've got the XP Home Setup cd, but the computer that's screwed up has XP Pro on it, so would I be able to fix the ntoskrnl.exe file with my XP Home CD, and if so, how would I do it. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:eek:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You have to be able to boot windows after the first part of the instructions. Then in part 2 where you retrieve a "snapshot" archive from the System Restore volume, you could select a different one.

You might be able to use the file from your home version -- as long as the service pack level is the same, I think they are equal.

Due to the way the recovery console works, you probably will not be able to burn and copy this file from a CD as you will encounter a path restriction. However it might be worth trying. Once you have it on CD (you can probably burn it to the Elvandil CD) and once loaded you can enter:

copy [drive letter]:\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

Otherwise about all I can suggest to you is that you slave the drive to another system and copy it that way.

6. almightybob7

Okay, I installed Windows XP Home onto my computer, but I still have my XP Pro, but it isn't working. MY XP Home is, but I like XP Pro better (I don't know why). Now that I'm in XP and have access to the Pro files, is there anything that I can do to fix my XP Pro from within Home? My system32 folder is gone too.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're entire system32 folder is gone? Those are all your critical system files.

If that's the case you've lost it unless you have a CD to reinstall from. I'm not sure it would be successful even then.

8. almightybob7

So I guess I'm screwed. At least I can save all of my documents and stuff.

9. almightybob7

If I was able to get a setup CD, do you think a repair install would fix my problem?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's certainly worth a shot -- you'll probably know soon enough if your hard drive is completely done for -- setup won't even run.

11. almightybob7

ok sweet. Yeah, I think I'll try to get one from my grandfather or someone at my dad's work and give it a go. I hope it works!

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good luck then!

13. almightybob7

That did work. Now my Windows XP Pro is back to normal, except for one thing. While I was installing, when it asked for the a username, I (stupidly) put in a username that was different from My original one. The folder for my old username is still in the C:\Documents and Settings folder, but I don't really have any access to it, and at this time, while using the new username, I only have access to the applications that I had installed for all users before, even though all of the program files for the other applications are still in the C:\Program Files folder. Could you help me out with this?

14. almightybob7

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does the old User Name appear in the Control Panel > User Accounts?

Is it enabled and can you not log into it?

You may be able to make the old profile's documents accessible by following the procedure here (never had to do it myself):

http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/...cover_a_damaged_windows_xp_user_profile.phtml

But you should normally have access to them if you log in with Administraive rights in Safe Mode too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice