1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop Aol remembering history!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dotty999, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    My Aol settings are to delete history /cookies etc. on exit and in IE8 too, yet every time I sign on to Aol an old web page opens and other history has been saved.

I've manually deleted everything yet it still doesn't change the outcome.

I found a small utility prog called History Sweep which is a trial version supposed to sweep clean Aol but even that didn't work as when I rebooted, the same sites were there!

Does anyone know of a more aggressive cleaner that can be set to work in the background and auto clean history without having to do it each time I sign on/off?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    please don't mention Talk Talk to me! I was completely misguided into joining them last year and they were a nightmare! They've now taken over Aol but both are run differently.

I threatened to expose their dirty tricks campaign on a consumer tv programme as they had told me lies to get me to sign up and I was then stuck in a 12 month contract or pay to get out!

I was then contacted by their Chief Executive who duly apologized, refunded my money and more besides provided I didn't take it further, deal done!:D

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

hope it was chief exec as anyone their calls themselves Chief exec, by the way we should be watching football!!!, to be faif though i pay £16.00 a month free calls after 7 and weekend and am on their pro package and get 11meg constant, so i cant grumble

5. daz1

daz1 Banned

ps web root i am sure can be set up to auto clean

6. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    I pay £14.99 + £7.49 for unlimited free calls 24/7 including International as I call the USA often!(y)

Back to my problem.. I think I've found the culprit that's causing these issues, Aol Search! I've been trawling Google to find how to remove it, I've set the preference in IE and Firefox and deleted Aol and other search engines,just need to find how to get rid of the blighter!:D

7. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

CCleaner.
    As long as you know the full path to where the items you want
    deleted are sitting, then you can enter that into CCleaner.

That information would be entered at Options->Include.
    The only real requirement is to know how to enter paths.
    Fool with your entries until CCleaner deletes what you intend
    for it to delete.

Donationware/Freeware.
    CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download:
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

8. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    I contacted Aol and they said the version I was using had become buggy and I needed to update it.
    Thanks for your advice, I can mark this solved now:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice