1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: stop message in xp sp2!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kaptain howdie, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Thread Starter

Hi, need expert help!

last night i installed the software for my sony mini dv handycam to transfer my video to disc. the software is poor at best and did not offer dvd burn, just video cd. there seemed to be an issue finding the driver for the cam but after a second attempt it seemed to work.

a found a program called ulead that captures video and burns to dvd. i downloaded a trail version and played with it for a bit and than decided to delete it. shortly after when i connected my digital camera via usb and ran picasa 2 windows crashes and gives me a stop message.

stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfa6b8a, 0xb5872be8, 0x00000000)
    ati3duag.dll address bfa6b8a1 base at bfa0f000 date stamp 3d912864

i tried a system restore with no luck. whenever i open picasa 2 it runs for less a miniute than crashes to that dreaded blue screen. now is this a problem with a driver for the cam, or something to do with the video card since i get the message ati3duag.dll. i`ve spent a few hours in google trying to find a solution with no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The file mentioned is from your Catalyst ATI driver. Try installing a new driver.

3. kaptain howdie

ok i downloaded the driver from ati site but it came with this package called steam (i think, sorry i deleted it a few hours ago and don`t remember the exact name had something to do with gaming). i can open picasa now but when i open my adware/spyware be gone the screen fades in very slowly. so far this is the only program that is effected but it also seems my system is a little slower as well.

any thoughts?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try uninstalling the driver, removing it in Add/Remove, cleaning up the remaining fragments with:

Driver Cleaner Professional
    Nasty File Remover

and reinstalling, in case the old driver left pieces behind.

That "Steam" thing is an annoying game ad add-on that caused me problems from the start. If you want Steam, get it from a web download and don't install it with the driver.

The newest driver is also not always the best one for your card. If your card is not brand new, try an older driver if the latest doesn't do the job for you.

5. kaptain howdie

i deleted steam, and did a system restore. i downloaded the driver through ati without steam and re-installed it and all seems to be good.

thanks much for the help. this site rocks!!!!!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hope it holds up. You're welcome. I really resent that ads are now being placed in ATI driver downloads, but what can you do? Things have gone downhill since AMD took them over. I was hoping for the opposite.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!