1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop messages (blue screen of death) undocumented

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hakumaster, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hakumaster

hakumaster Thread Starter

Hello,

Lately, I am getting the notorious "blue screen of death" (BSOD) quite often, after re-awakening the computer out of its "sleep mode" (not by simply shutting off and restarting). I seem not to be the only one having trouble with "sleep mode", judging from the several pages on the Internet dedicated to this MS problem.

The BSOD messages I get are either:
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    or
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The first is (more or less) documented by Microsoft, but offers no real solution, the second does not even appear in the Microsoft list and/or Resource Kit!

My questions now:
    1. Why do I get these faults and what are they really?
    2. Are they somehow interrelated?
    3. What can I do to repair and avoid these annoyances?

Thanks for helping me out of this.

Hakumaster

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Check to see if you have a "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder containing files with a DMP extension. If found, zip 4-5 of the most recent ones and post here as a ZIP or RAR attachment. We can analyze them to try and find the cause of your BSODs.

3. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Whats the error codes please? eg 0xc0000005

4. hakumaster

Reply to Frank4d

Thanks for the swift reaction. Attached you will find some of the latest minidumps as requested. And thanks for looking this up.

Best regards.

--------------------

Reply to Everway9

Stop error code for DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was 0x0000000D1 (0xFEFF06FA, 0x00000011, 0x00000000, 0xB776016D)

Could not record the codes for PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA because BSOD remained too short a time on the monitor.

Best regards,

Hakumaster

5. hakumaster

Hi again Frank4d!

:eek:Terribly sorry, forgot to *** zip attachment to previous post. Here it is...

Hakumaster

Attached Files:

6. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
  7. hakumaster

Message for Frank4d

Hi Frank4d,

This morning, when reawakening my computer from sleep mode, the machine rebooted spontaneously without warning, and without any trace of a BSOD. This happened after the usual reawakening "graphic" (those small characters at the bottom of the screen, showing graphically that the temp "sleep" files were being activated). After this, there was some activity of the HD, then a burst of the ventilator, and the computer went into reboot.

Everything seems to be working okay (as always, even after the events described in my post).

Please note that this kind of events only started after my XP OS was updated to SP3. Indeed, before that update, I never saw a BSOD on this machine, and I have been using it for more than two years now

Attached you will find the latest minidump related to this incident. Maybe that will help you getting closer to a solution of my problem.

Thanks for taking care of this.

Bye.

Hakumaster

Attached Files:

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I looked at 10 of you log files and didn't find anything that jumps out as a single cause. In five of them ntoskrnl.exe was the cause, two were afd.sys, one ndis.sys, amd a couple general memory corruption.

You mentioned in two posts the errors occured when waking from sleeo mode. Is that the pattern for all of them?

9. hakumaster

Hi Frank4d,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your last question about a recurring pattern: it is an absolute "yes" without restrictions. The events invariably occur after reawakening out of sleep mode.

As for your findings about various causes. Should I run one or other check (like sfc /scanonce) to replace files that might be corrupted?

Best regards,

Hakumaster

10. hakumaster

Hello Frank4d,

This morning, I had another stop event following a reawakening of the computer after sleep mode - slightly different, however, from my previous experiences.

This time, the computer seemed to reawaken all right but, as I was looking at my incoming mail in my Thunderbird mail browser, the screen went dark for apparently no reason, a BSOD appeared in a flash (too short to be able to read anything), then the machine rebooted.

Enclosed you will find a zipped minidump related to that event.

Best regards,

Hakumaster

A

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!