1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop MSN folder on Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vegascj, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegascj

vegascj Thread Starter

For the last few weeks, my computer boots up with the MSN folder window open on my desktop. I am not sure if my kids messed with something to make this happen. I have checked the Documents and Settings\"user name"\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder and it is not causing this. Where else should I look? Using OS XP Home

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    You could try:
    start > run then type in msconfig then click on the startup tab and see what's set to run at startup. If you're not sure about entries there then check here and someone will be able to guide you.

Richard

3. vegascj

vegascj Thread Starter

I have run MSConfig and here is what runs at Startup.
    [​IMG]. I am not sure how to post an image on this site. Is there any other way to show my startups?

4. 1002richards

Hi,
    I'm not sure how to post an image so I've asked for help!! Sorry about that but if you hang on in there I'm sure someone will be able to help.
    Please be patient as there are lots of requests for help and we do have time differences to contend with as well. I'm at 17:33 hours by the way!

Apologies
    Richard

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

See the very first thread (posting) in the Malware Removal forum. Post a Hijack This log. I know of no way to post the contents of msconfig.

6. 1002richards

AcaCandy,

Thanks.

Richard

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

(y) You're welcome.

8. vegascj

vegascj Thread Starter

OK here are my startup items. -- (Not sure I understand AcaCandy's post. I am a newbie)
    CeEKev
    CePMTrav
    TPTray
    tfswctrl
    atiptaxx
    AGRSMMSG
    Apoint
    EzButton
    PadExe
    NDSTrav
    pinger
    maximizer_startup
    Ixbtbmgr
    fm3Q32
    ccApp
    VPTray
    VVkUFind
    qttask
    hpztsb7
    SpySvveeperUI
    toscdspd
    ctfmon
    Adobe Reader Spe...
    RAMASST

Thanks for your help. I will be patient. I am pacific time zone.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Be sure to look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup as well.

Is there anything in either Startup folder to start MSN Messenger?

You can take a screen shot of the msconfig window and post that. Might have to do two to show it all. The location column is not that important. There are typically only three different entries there:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Startup

I would adjust the columns so the Location column displays just enough to show the HKLM or HKCU part -- just look through the location column and note any that are not one of the three listed above. See my examples below. Be sure to check the paths for personal info you don't want posted, as in my 2nd example I blocked out my username on the last line, as on that PC the user name is my full name.

How to Post a Screen Shot

1. Find the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It's usually on the right half, to the right of the F12 key, either just above the insert key, or above the numeric keypad. It may be abbreviated (PrtScn or PRTSC) and may also say SysRq.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    2. Check to make sure you have the Windows Paint program installed:
      Click Start | All Programs | Accessories and it should be listed.
      If not, here's how to install it (you may need your Windows Installation CD):
      • Click Start | Run and enter appwiz.cpl. This will open the Add or Remove Programs window
      • Click Add/Remove Windows Components to start the Windows Components Wizard
      • Highlight Accessories and Utilities (don't click the box, click the name) then click Details...
      • Highlight Accessories (don't click the box, click the name) then click Details...
      • Check the box in front of Paint
      • click OK until back to the Windows Components Wizard screen.
      • Click Next >; if prompted for your CD, insert it (exit the install Windows screen if it starts up)
      • Click Finish, then close the Add or Remove Programs window
    3. Capture the Screen Shot
      • Press the Print Screen key to take a screen shot of the entire screen.
      • Hold down ALT and press the Print Screen key to capture just the active window.
      You will not see anything happen, but windows has saved the screen shot into the Windows Clipboard, which is a memory area windows uses anytime you cut, copy, and paste.
    4. Open the Windows Paint program (Start | All Programs | Accessories)
    5. Press CTRL+V or click the Edit menu and click Paste
      You can now use the drawing tools to draw circles or arrows to highlight info, add titles, or erase any personal info you don't want posted online.
      To select just a portion of the image:
      • Use the dotted rectangular Select tool from the tool bar on the left to draw a rectangle around the area you want to save (Press CTRL+T if the Tool Bar is not displayed)
      • Press CTRL+C to copy that section to the clipboard
      • Press CTRL+N and click No
      • Press CTRL+V
    6. Save the file:
      • Press CTRL+S
      • Change Save as Type: to JPEG (*.JPG,*.JPEG,*.JPE,*.JFIF)
      • Give it a name, and choose where you want to save the file.
      • Click Save
    7. Attach the file to your post so it will appear as a thumbnail image
      • If using Quick Reply, click the Go Advanced button
      • Click the Paperclip [​IMG] at the top of the editor window, or scroll down and click the Manage Attachments button
      • Click the Browse... button and browse to your file
      • Click the Upload button
      • Repeat for any more files, then close the Manage Attachments window
    8. To paste as an inline image:
      • Upload your image to an image hosing site (http://www.imageshack.com or http://photobucket.com for example)
      • Determine the link to your image, then enter that link into your post surrounded with image tags [​IMG]
        [​IMG]
      • The hosting site may have a link you can click that will copy the link, tags included, onto the clipboard so all you have to do is click in your post and press CTRL+V to paste the link
      • This will be the result:
      • [​IMG]

HTH

Jerry

Attached Files:

10. vegascj

vegascj Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!
    There is nothing in either Startup folder to start MSN Messenger.
    Actually MSN Messenger does not start up, I just get a window with the MSN folder open in the middle of my desktop. This folder has two subfolders. MSNCorefiles (which is 20MB) and MSNIA which is empty. -- It is just annoying! Here are my screenshots combined into 1 jpeg.

Attached Files:

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What causing this is that someplace there exists a command that is executed at startup that looks like this:
    c:\Progra~1\MSN *******
    or
    %programfiles%\MSN *******
    or
    "c:\Program Files\"MSN *******
    Where ******* could be anything. The key is that there are no quotes around the string, or the second quote is missing, or misplaced, so windows sees the command as just "c:\Progra~1\MSN" and opens that folder. If you type c:\Progra~1\MSN into the Start | Run box it will open that same folder.

Does that folder appear if you boot to Safe Mode? (tab F8 as the PC boots to bring up the Advanced Options screen then choose Safe Mode)

Jerry

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Go here and download Sysinternals Autoruns program to your desktop (link to zip file at bottom of page). Extract the autoruns.exe file and place it on your desktop (or wherever) then double click the file.
    You can also run it directly from the website by clicking this link here: Run Autoruns now from Live.Sysinternals.com
    Or click that link on the web page under the download link.

It will check numerous locations where programs can load and display them. It might take a minute or two; when its done it will display Ready in the lower right corner.
    Click on File | Export and save the file some place handy, then attach the text file to your next post (it's too large to just paste in). If you used the Quick Reply form, click on Go Advanced, then click the paper clip icon (top center of edit window), browse to the txt file and upload it.

Hopefully that will tell us where this is coming from.

Jerry

13. vegascj

vegascj Thread Starter

When I boot in Safe Mode, the folder does not appear open on my desktop.
    Attached is the stuff generated from Autoruns.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

AHA!
    Under
    Code:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
     + msnmsgr            File not found: C:\Program Files\MSN
    This should have shown up in msconfig though, so, lets do some digging:

Download the attached zip file. Extract the batch file inside to the Desktop, then double click it. It will open a Notepad windows. Copy the contents into your next reply.

After pasting, you can delete the batch file and the regkey.txt file that it created on your desktop.

Jerry

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!