1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop purple window - looks like from Google

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MPeg3, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I'm using Firefox 8. I keep getting a purple window that opens in the upper right corner of my browser. It seems to show a temporary list of Google items. The last one I saw was Double Click and Google Analytics. Both items had a strike through. Sometimes this list has 6 or 7 items in it with some items with the strike through and some not. There seems to be no way to turn it off when it is in the way, so I just have to wait for it to disappear. Can anyone tell me how to stop this. I see no use for it what-so-ever.

This is on my Mac. Don't remember ever seeing it on the PC, but not sure as I use the Mac most of the time.

Thanks
    Peg

2. TOGG

TOGG

It seems you have Ghostery installed; http://www.ghostery.com/ It tracks the things that websites use to track you and which you normally aren't aware of. The fact that some of the items you see are struck through indicates that Ghostery is set to block those particular 'web bugs'.

I have it installed in my Opera and Firefox browsers and block everything because I don't want to be 'served' with 'interesting' adverts etc. by the people whose sites/pages I visit.

If you don't like it, you can go into the 'Tools' option in Firefox and click on 'Addons' then 'Extensions' where you should find an option to disable or remove Ghostery. Alternatively, you could click on the 'Options' tab and uncheck the 'Show alert bubble' box or reduce the display time from the default 15 seconds (at least that's the default in my copy - maybe the Windows version is different?)

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I do have that addon and will make the changes so it doesn't stay up so long.

Again
    Thank you
    Peg

4. TOGG

TOGG

Glad to have been of help!. One of the things I like about Ghostery is seeing just how much junk some websites include. My record so far is 16 items blocked on one page!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice