1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stop! Stop! Stop!!! Kids from long hours computer used

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chol, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chol

Chol Thread Starter

Hello World,

My Sister has kids who are using computer continuously doing nonsense and not school works. She always been talking to them about the important of school and they don't listen, the warning letter is almost to half the the garbage bin if they have been kept.

We just been discussing "what action should be taken?" I have told her we may install some software like parental control of Windows Vista. because the parental control in not in Windows XP, I am here asking you to tell me "where to get the free/cheaper software that can do they followings:

• Limit the hours of using computer.
    • Automatically computer log off after hours.
    • Setup the days to use computer.
    • Block specific website
    • Stop them from playing games from the internet/computer too
    • Stop each user from downloading as set up by Admin.
    • And all those that Admin (parent) can do to prevent the kids from.

To the online games, the bill for the internet is too high because of online playing, watching movies, surfing the web each after each (children).

Mum of the Kids is desperately waiting for your help.

Any help would be grateful and appreciate.

Thanks you

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. bbearren

bbearren

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why doesn't she set up a log-on password so the kids can't log on and use that computer without her permission?

That's how my daughter controls the use of her computer by her 3 kids.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Chol

Chol Thread Starter

She is just illiterate about computer, a new migrant in australia. And she havn't been on computer before australia.

I am not living with her, i could have help her setup password and do all these, she need something that can run automatically.

I will trial the above given softwares.

Thanks guys

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Give it enough time and they'll likely trash it with viruses and malware. :(

7. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    What location in Australia is she? as in state and city/town

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If her kids aren't interested in school, she has bigger problems beyond trying to lock them out of the family computer.

9. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Tend to agree with DoubleHelix

But I hid the power cord to the computer (and jug cord that you make your cups of tea with - same type of cord) so no one could switch it on.

All kids go through stages of pushing boundaries and if you don’t give them boundaries they are little sh... So if not listening, make it so they can not operate it. End of story.

I am too lazy to argue which is why I did it that way. I brought the power cord out when I got home from work or when I allowed them to operate it (I put the computer in the dining area) where I could watch what they did as I was fixing dinner in the kitchen, it was open plan area so I could see the screen.

Back then when the kids where younger I did not know about programs/hardware or ID set up, so did not have the use of those resources.

Also did the same thing with the car as in disabling it, then again the area I was living at the time, I had to do that anyway.

Reckon the kids thought I was a right bit.. but that was not my worry.

Not picking on anyone but children will test you to the limits.

10. Phantom010

My kids are still young but the computer is in the living room, so I can always keep an eye on them... For now, when they go online, they only play games. I'm mostly checking up on them to make sure they don't mess up any setting or catch any nasties.

The day they become teenagers, I will make sure to keep a tight leash on them... :D Especially since they're girls, chatting, if I ever permit it, will be closely monitored... :cool:

When I was a kid and a teenager, my friends and I would play outside all day long! I want my kids to see the daylight and not become fat teenage couch potatoes. I don't play computer games and I'll make sure to set strict limits on computer use for my kids. Of course, I'm aware it won't be easy, with homework and friends' influences but rules will be set.

11. Chol

Chol Thread Starter

They are living in NSW...

She really got a big a problem to deal with, all of them are -18 years of age. and because they are not interested in EDU their performance are not satisfying teachers even, not all the kids anyway, only the big boys are the problem.

12. raybro

raybro

If these "kids" are over 18 (or even close to that age) and computer literate while Mom is NOT computer literate, no matter what she does, short of getting rid of the computer, is going to stop them.

Raybro

13. bbearren

bbearren

Install Windows Steady State.

Set BIOS to boot from the hard drive and put a password on the BIOS.

Put passwords on all their accounts. Don't tell them their own password; log them on. Windows Steady State can log them off at preset time limits.

Make them all regular users, (not power users), so they can't install anything.

You can lock them out so tight that it doesn't matter how computer literate they are, they will have to buy their own PC in order to use one.

14. Phantom010

Don't underestimate kids these days with computers... :eek:

Besides, Google is their best friend too... ;) :D

15. Chol

Chol Thread Starter

I have install Windows Steady State...the big boy, I will not use it again.I 'll be going to Library if restriction is being if restricting computer used.

I just said "aha, you can go", there is restriction also in Library's Computers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice