1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stopping Trolls on Facebook Events & Pages you manage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Android, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Android

Android Thread Starter

I have a problem with trolls joining my pages and events (which have hundreds to thousands of real people) then trolling crude remarks. It seems that the only thing I can do is "report" them to Facebook, for what little that does. Or I can choose to "block" their comments so that when they post, I don't see their comments (but others in the group can), but in managing these pages & events, it would be irresponsible for me just to look the other way here when they post harassing other members. What I'd like to do is to #1 boot them from the page / event and #2 prevent them from joining in the future, all this IN ADDITION to reporting them to FB. On this, I'd like some advice on what to do. Thanks.

2. Android

Android Thread Starter

Over the "x" next to their posts I get a "Remove or Report". For starters, what I'm doing is...
    - Writing down their names on paper, along with any other trolls that "Like" the abusive comment.
    - Choosing "Hide comment" from the drop-down, which then then allows me to "report as abusive", of which I choose "Spam" in the next popup.
    - After doing this to all of their comments, I'll refresh the screen, which reveals that the "Hide" selection was only temporary.
    - Next at each comment, at the drop down, I'll select & confirm "Delete comment...". When you delete a comment, you no longer have an option of reporting it to FB (strange).

3. Android

Android Thread Starter

- Wow, eventually after choosing "Hide" many times for a troll's repeated comments, you'll see a "Ban" option. I'll choose this after I report them to FB, but before I "Delete" their comment, because after you choose "Delete" no further action can be done.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I'm not on facebook, but judging from what you said, I'm not entirely sure that there is anything you can do to prevent this other than what you posted in the third post.

that said, I know there are a TON of people here who use FB, pretty sure one of them will have the definitive answer.

thanks,

v

5. Android

Android Thread Starter

I think I figured it out. You're right valis. One of the main things to remember is not to choose "block", but to report them several times until you see the link to "ban".

6. valis

valis Moderator

glad it's sorted. :)

7. Benoit99

Benoit99

The wise thing would be to ignore what you don't like. While people are inciting violence and hate, abusing GODs, report abuse does a little help. Oh wait, does it even help?

8. Android

Android Thread Starter

Benoit99, you are incorrect. After many reports, I was able to "Ban" trolls from my events & pages. You don't get the "Ban" link unless you report an account, sometimes a few times. If a manager is perseverant, he can handle trolls effectively.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice