1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange Access permission Administrator problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by plado, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plado

plado Thread Starter

:( Yesterday I successfully managed to share my Windows 7 Home Premium PC with my home network so that I can access it for file management from other computers on my network at home. I have got full access to the Windows 7 PC from a Netbook running XP and from a Macbook laptop but.... when I try to access the macbook shared folder called Drop Box from either the Windows 7 PC or from the Netbook XP, the Windows system denies access to the Folder. Both computers can see the Drop Box folder in the list but a box comes up with this message:-

Windows cannot access \\MACINTOSH\drop box You do not have permission to access \\MACINTOSH\drop box Contact
    your network administrator to request access.

So I was puzzled by this as I am the administrator on the Windows 7 and I have set access to the drop box folder on the macbook by putting a tick in the SHARED FOLDER for that specific folder. And the macbook is communicating on the same shared network WORKGROUP and sees the Windows PC by its normal name in the correct way.

Confused beyond belief, I looked up the help and it only tells me to contact the owner of the folder and ask permission to access the file. This is quite ridiculous or appears that way as I have given it all the permissions that I know how to.

I also found that the macbook will happily send and fetch files from the Windows 7 PC but it won't send a document to the Printer (Canon) on the windows 7 even though I have set that printer as shared.

Has anyone got any clues on where I am going wrong? I'm fairly certain it's my error but just can't find where.
    Maybe it isn't something simple and I may have to get down to nitty gritty stuff to work out where the trouble lies?

Hope you can help.
    Thanks
    --
    Plado (y)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. plado

plado Thread Starter

Thank you for trying to help. I did give that article a good close inspection but Sadly no - nothing new there. The article really only addressed problems people are having with the Printer not being recognized due to missing Drivers. My problem didn't seem to enter the drivers debate at all, it was purely one of access and the printer showing as "seen" but no commands would send through to it.
    I surely could expect the system to tell me that drivers are missing or need updating. It's this constant access denial that bugs me more than any other.

The printer problem is not the end of the world to do without - but it does make me wonder why all this hassle from incompatible items? Surely plug and play isn't an oxymoron everywhere in all communications? I would like to find out why the permissions doesn't work when I have already given the Macbook permission to share everything I want to share. Sharing is nothing like as simple and straightforward as the Microsoft gang would have us believe - or that Apple lot either !

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know nothing about MAC foibles, but if that machine were Windows I'd say there's probably a firewall on it that is blocking access.

And sometimes a problem like this that has no logical explanation turns out to be some unknown router issue (which we discover only because of a router firmware upgrade and/or reset to factory defaults or replacement).

5. plado

plado Thread Starter

Well that's a very good point. I'm not very good with firewalls; I once got in a mess trying to set up Port Forwarding on my Router Modem so that an IP camera could be operated. Luckily I hadn't got the camera before I discovered I hadn't a barking clue what I was doing or why I was doing it!
    What puzzled me more about the Mac communicating with the Windows 7 machine was the way the Mac quite happily sends files to the W7 and takes files from it, once they are placed in the shared folder that I created on the C: drive but the transfer can only be done from the Mac end of the Network and not from the Windows 7 machine. If it works using the mac as the master, then it should work from the Windows 7 end. After all, both ends have Shared permissions all properly set and working on the same Network name.

Again the Permissions and Administrator problems foxed me even more. Something in Windows sends me into a box about objects and giving them a name - at which point I lost the will to live!

You know, I don't think this problem is going to be solvable - but I do appreciate all the help you good people are trying to give. I just wish it was one simple setting I've got to do and all will be cured. No such luck.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's an indication of a firewall (probably on the MAC but possibly on the Windows 7) issue or a inexplicable problem with the router. I'm trusting that you properly shared or gave permissions or whatever it is called on the MAC.

Do you have a security suite or firewall other than Windows' on the Windows 7 machine? A similar firewall on the MAC?

7. plado

plado Thread Starter

No firewall other than possibly a hardware firewall on the Router/Modem.

I can update a bit here if I may - by some sheer fluke and possibly a misunderstanding on my part, the problem of accessing the Macbook from the Windows 7 PC has solved itself. What I wasn't aware of, was that the Parent Folder of Drop Box folder on the Macbook was accessible - it has a name macintosh\public I was just able to send a file to that public folder, so my mistake was that I was trying to send files (on test) to the daughter folder of \Public which is macintosh\Public\Drop Box
    I thought I had given Drop Box sharing permission because it was a sub folder of \Public anyhow I just tested it and sent a couple of files to Public folder from the W7 pc and it passed in perfectly. So it is only Drop Box that won't let me in.
    No problem I can just stick files into Public instead.

However, the crunchy old problem of why the Macbook won't talk to the Canon MP 270 printer despite having the Drivers installed for the MP 270 on the Macbook still remains. The Canon Printer comes up on the Macbook Taskbar and I send the document to the printer. It stalls and goes into pause mode without printing anything.

I then try to see what is stalling it and after it has attempted to send the command and failed a box comes up with
    Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Again mysterious linguistics. The Canon MP 270 is connected USB to the Windows 7 PC and it has been given Shared Status. All very weird. I know this is a Windows 7 section forum but I think it's the fault of Windows rather than Mac that is making this problem show up. But I don't know that for sure. I'd be glad of any thoughts on this. But don't lose sleep over it, as the printing facility is not the biggest issue here. So I think I can mark the thread as solved once I see if anyone knows what is stalling the printer with that error message.
    Thanks for all your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!